Fig Tree Pruning Help

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Fig Tree Pruning Help

Postby Tndal » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:27 pm

Hello everyone

I’m relatively new to gardening but am getting more and more into it since purchasing and moving into my house 2 years ago. The house came with a large established fig tree and I have a few questions that I am hoping you might be able to help me with.

The main issue I have is to do with controlling the size. The fig tree is now getting quite big and I’m looking into pruning it back, however the more I read about pruning, the more conflicted I become as to if it is a good or bad thing. Does anyone have any experience pruning fig trees? Ideally, I’d like to do a significant prune of at least a 1/3. I believe the best way to do this would be to prune back to the main stems using Reduction Cuts. I believe I could also prune the back the lateral stems, and new stems will grow from the joint. My concern is that this might end up with the plant producing water shoots and loosing it’s appear / aesthetic / shape, which is currently very nice (just too big). Any advice / tips would be appreciated.

I’ve attached some pictures that may assist in showing what I am planning.

The second issue I have is that the fruit is not edible. A few people have commented that it could be a virus. The tree also has some spots on its leaves, but otherwise looks healthy. Has anyone had experience with this?
Attachments
Pruce points.JPG
Prune Locations
Tndal
Apprentice

Re: Fig Tree Pruning Help

Postby Tndal » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:30 pm

See a few more pictures. Note, if it isn't going to get much bigger I would consider not pruning it so hard, but it seems to add about 1.5m per year, so it will take over my yard if I'm not careful.
Attachments
1B.JPG
1a.JPG
Tndal
Apprentice

Return to Fruit and Produce