I'm a newbie just dropping in to say hi

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

I'm a newbie just dropping in to say hi

Postby Wimmera » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:20 pm

Hello Folks, well my chutney is cooking as I speak,yes I know its late for an Autumn chutney but I had lots of green apples and onions sooo....in went some unused tomatoes and a tin of pulp, spices and vinegar and presto ..it smells great!

I have been browsing the posts and thought this looks like a good place to spend some time....mind you I have already spent money on the catalogue site! :lol:

I have an acre and a half of garden that has suffered badly from prolonged drought...so this year I have put all my backyard under straw beds and planted it up to mixed veg and flowers...food for the body ..and the soul.I am interplanting the front yard also with colored beets and kale as well as shrubs and bulbs. Mind you when I look at the mountain of empty plant pots out the back I realise I just don't have enough plants left to justify how many pots there are...I wonder where the plants all went?

I am in the process of building a garden shed in my backyard too (I currently pot up under my grapevine pergola) ...so watch out for photos in a week or so ...when it is finished I am going to have a go at taking some photos for the comp....after all at nearly 60 I think building your first backyard shed should be everywomans dream! :wink:

I am a keen preserver and will welcome chat on recipes and different uses for fruit and veg, plus hints on how to grow fruit trees from seed ..something I have never tried.
Thanks for sharing
Sue
Wimmera

Postby Sam » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:37 pm

Hi Sue - make sure you register on the site - you are coming up as a guest!

Try planting some alfalfa lucerne if you have such a large area. We did this as a green manure and it has really made a difference to the area when we dug it up. The soil actually looked nice and was beautifully soft.

Good luck - look forward to seeing more posts and photos!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:41 pm

Hi and congratulations!!! :D Just be careful of what is known as the"Ann factor" :oops: LOL!!! Hope you enjoy our chats. :D :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Dry gardening and apples

Postby kitkat » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:52 am

Thanks for the welcome folks.Yes I see now that I must log in first...when it gave the message that my user name was gone I thought it was someone else not me ! DUH ! :?
I doubt that lucerne would grow here as it is too dry ...in a normal year we have a 17 inch rainfall but it has been way below that for the last 7 years unfortunately...I am just 40 klms from the Big Desert.

Olives will grow but I can't afford to buy the several hundred I'd need. (do they grow from seed and how long would that take I wonder?)
I am growing some black wattle seeds now but they are so shortlived that they will only provide temporary shelter belts while something else grows.I was thinking maybe of something I could maybe sell in the longer term like a herb or a crop to sell to the zoo or something..I am open to any ideas. I would like to supplement my age pension by just a little if possible.
The oak trees suggested by someone won't grow here, sadly I have tried many times, nor walnuts..Almonds do- but not well.Desert Ash does well ,but is slow and not useful as far as I can see.

I have just saved some apple seeds from some Granny Smith apples (from the chutney) I wonder if I could grow them? Do they need any special treatment to grow?
Thank you for the welcome and the helpful advice.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Ann » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:27 pm

I'm sure olives grow from seed as I think recently when there was an orchard visit, the grower had at least one thriving tree grown from seed the year before. :D I try to grow most of my plants from seed with variable success. :( It's always a case of seeing what does grow there and trying that. Herbs should be quite easy as they can be grown in polystyrene boxes and hand watered, and there are many plants that grow there.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

seed

Postby jack » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:14 pm

if you are going to do fruit trees, do not do them by seed.
several good reasons, first the root stocks on fruit trees are developed over the past century to survive in our conditions, by seed you will not have this.
second the fruit may not be as good as a grafted tree and may take a long time to even show up.
with olives i think you are on a winner if you have a long dry climate.
but if money is a issue in purchasing trees, maybe try a cheaper crop in the first years, ie watermelon, pumpkin, rockmelon (cantelope), squash. just watch the market prices in the paper to help decide.
a good crop from these should help start the tree purchasing.
jack
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce