Yellow leaves = too much water?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Postby Luzy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:14 pm

Wow Lea, considering the rain we've had, that's amazing! But. I also agree about a bit of a dig to check, having just dug up some lemon grass I planted from its nursery pot - I actually pulled it up and the rootball was exactly the same as the pot it had been in (about a month ago). I'm about to find out how tough lemon grass is as I attacked it with a knife to divide it, hacked the top off and also got rid of most of the roots (yn)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:18 am

Lea, I'd be putting some soil wetter around those roses. If you compare the ingredients of those products and the earth-friendly type dishwashing liquids, you'll find they are the same thing. :wink:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:11 pm

Hi Pam, We just about need another section for these great 'cures' you and other are coming up with (there's nothing like saving a bit of money, too - leaves more to buy more plants!). What sort of quantity of the dishwashing liquid would you use? My next supermarket shop will be interesting! :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:31 pm

What sort of quantity of the dishwashing liquid would you use?

Ummmm..some?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not much - less than half a teaspoon in a watering can seemed to do the trick. I just put in a few drops - never really bothered to measure it.

I have a nasty feeling that the one I've always used might not be available any more, unless I buy lemon-scented. I'll have to look into it and make sure it's still basically the same.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Lea » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:00 am

Luzy wrote:Wow Lea, considering the rain we've had, that's amazing! But. I also agree about a bit of a dig to check, having just dug up some lemon grass I planted from its nursery pot - I actually pulled it up and the rootball was exactly the same as the pot it had been in (about a month ago). I'm about to find out how tough lemon grass is as I attacked it with a knife to divide it, hacked the top off and also got rid of most of the roots (yn)

Pam wrote:Lea, I'd be putting some soil wetter around those roses. If you compare the ingredients of those products and the earth-friendly type dishwashing liquids, you'll find they are the same thing. ;)

Luzy, I should have mentioned - these particular roses are under our eaves ;) Though I really did think they'd been receiving enough water from the rain in combination with our faithfully watering them :roll: :lol: How's your lemon grass looking now? Pretty sad, I imagine - just think, this coming time of year, everything will be sprouting new green shoots (and new roots too) sooner than we even expect - even your lemon grass :D

Pam, thanks - very interesting about using dishwashing liquids as soil wetter (Y) :o
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:08 am

Hi Lea., hope your roses are feeling better. The lemon grass is sad - very sad :cry: especially with that winter-brown look. But they're not completely dead yet :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Updated tree pictures

Postby Di » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:28 pm

It has now been a few months since I originally asked for help with my dwarf orange and lemon trees. Here are some updated pictures of how they look now :D

Thankyou very much to everyone who helped!

Dwarf Lemon (Before)

Dwarf Lemon (After)

Dwarf Orange (Before)

Dwarf Orange (After)
Di
Groundsperson

Postby Marrion » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:00 pm

That's amazing Di, well done (Y) Do keep us informed of their progress.
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:38 am

Wow, Di - fantastic. It looks like you certainly did all the right things! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Previous

Return to Fruit and Produce