Mizuna and Bok Choy

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Mizuna and Bok Choy

Postby kitkat » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:57 am

Has anyone noticed that the flowers of Mizuna and Bok Choy are almost the same as those of Canola ..and the seed heads look the same too.Both my bok choy and mizuna are going to seed and I thought at first I had a neibouring farmers canola seeding in the middle of it all ..but no ..they must all be very closely related.I wonder if the bokchoy or mizuna seeds have a high oil content like canola? I am saving the seeds for the next crop but maybe i'll let another couple go to seed and see what the oil content is..might be interesting.I guess I may not get true to parent seeds if they can cross with each other ..ho hum I'll let nature take its course and see what results. 8)
I have been eating and cooking mizuna from one month after planting , it is very prolific and nice bushy plants too.The bok choy got too leggy too quickly so I think I overfertized it but next time I'll cut it down a feed or two.I made a chinese meal last night with 8 leaves and veg from my garden plus brought onions which I haven't got in yet.Nice.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:04 pm

Hi Ben ...same for me with the Miners lettuce ...it grew best under the shade of the jerusalem Artichokes ...the ones in the sun didn't do so well and wilt fast on hot days .You may have better luck with the Mizuna as a cooler crop Ben .....I planted mine in March/April and it grew all winter long..I have just planted some more seedlings but doubt they will do well now ....too many over 30 days ahead.Bok choi is going gret guns ...Mrs Speckle has a feed every day....only six days to go to hatching her eggs ....but I am not confident as my neighbour gave me the eggs and now she tells me her rooster may be infertile .....so here's hoping for live chicks!!.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:17 pm

I have just grown some Miner's Lettuce from seed for the first time and it's almost ready to plant out, thanks for the advice on the shade, will make sure mine goes with the Rocket and Coriander (Y)
Marrion

Return to Fruit and Produce