Herbs

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Herbs

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:36 pm

Just bought some cat mint, after reading all about how cats love it.
I thought i'd see for myself.

Well.. as soon as i put it down, gave it some water,
Thumper, my cat was right into it!
so funny, she had her face stuck right in it :lol:

ImageImage
ImageImage

appart from Thumper, is there anything I can do with cat mint?

Postby Herby » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:38 pm

oop's forgot to sign in i think :lol:
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Luzy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:53 pm

:lol: :lol: How can you possibly think of doing anything else with it other than grow more for Thumper :lol: :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:52 pm

I have a long border of Catmint and my cat ignores it completely :lol: I grow it because I like the pretty blue flowers. I actually bought one that grows to 1metre high from a local nursery "Walkers Low" (don't know why they call it low :roll:
Those photos are gorgeous, Ben, worth framing them all and hanging them on the wall :idea:
Marrion

Postby Marrion » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:25 pm

Lets hope they didn't label them wrong :lol:
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:00 pm

Ben, if my euphorbia's do throw a party (complete with party hats and sunnies) can Thumper come too? But only if she wears her stilts! 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Herby » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:06 pm

:lol: oh yeah sure! might dress her up as a pirate and cut one stilt
shorter :lol:
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Luzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:17 pm

Oh oh! I've now got some catmint waiting to be planted. Walker's Low, that says it grows to 60cm... Interesting :? Marrion, is it good for cut flowers? I'm hoping that it will help to drown out the lawn.

Thumper might like this one, too. Though one of the euphorbias is growing strangely. Can she wear it on her shoulder instead of a parrot? :wink:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:53 pm

60cm is still quite high for catmint I think, I am hoping it will make a good cut flower too (yn) we shall have to compare notes, mine are only a few inches high at the moment. How tall are yours? race you for a flower photo :lol:
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:09 pm

Ooohhh, how long have you had yours? I've had mine for about six hours now :lol: :lol: This is going to be fun :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:23 pm

Lemon balm, without a doubt. And it's a great survivor! Year after year after...

Lemon verbena's pretty yummy as well, though Melbourne's cold isn't too kind to it (it's almost worth growing just for the pathetic little flowers - the smell is fantastic).

But I also agree, you can't go past the common mint (even if I can't grow it to full health in Vic :cry: )
Last edited by Luzy on Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:23 pm

Hi Ben , You should add Lemon Balm to that list I reckon. Nothing like a cooling lemon tea in Summer...and it truly seems to calm the beast within.
Lavender too is a must for me ...not to drink (though they say you can) I throw a handful into a long soaking bath..it really does relax one after a long day in the garden.Speaking of which...Yours truly has just spent the last three days building no less than a bush-house....and yes it is now finished bar the benches...which I want to make out of some sort of metal like swimming pool fence or some such..so that dirt and water will fall straight thru and also no bugs will live under the pots...I hope! :D ....any ideas folks? :?:
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:30 pm

Kitkat, I am just getting some offcuts of Reo from a builder friend to use as support for my peas, it would make very strong shelves in your bushhouse and builders would be glad to get rid of the leftover pieces.
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:37 pm

Hi kitkat,

I'm so proud of you doing all of that work for the bush house. What are you planning to have in there? :wink: Sounds incredibly interesting.

And Marrion, I've spent the day with hubby getting materials for new vegie beds but, alas, have to go search for Reo. I will probably have to let you know how much you've saved by having a builder friend :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:50 pm

Catmint is in, Marrion - a tiny clump about two inches high, though if I stretched it... I'm hoping that it's incredibly tough - planted it among privet roots but i did take quite a few out. We've just had the privet taken down and the stump ground - hooray! :D :D From the label, flowering for the catmint in from October on - mine had better hurry! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:59 pm

Sounds the same size as mine which has been in for several weeks now, no sign of flowers here yet. The old catmint in the border is starting to flower though.
Marrion

Postby Marrion » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:38 am

I meant to add this post ages ago :roll: But a herb that I grow is Lemon Bergamot which also adds nice lemon flavours to tea etc. Mine has made a nice clump and doesn't seem to be invasive at all.
Marrion

Postby kitkat » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:46 pm

Hi Folks, Thanks for input re the bushhouse. This morning I put in my shelves and hung some baskets on new brackets..will take a pic when the sun comes out..it's trying to rain right now.
I am planning on having a few Dendrobium Orchids there as a fellow gardener sent me a couple of dozen plants in a swap.I know nothing about them at all and have never had them but he said they would need some protection and I'd always planned to have a bush house so the dendrobiums gave me the impetus to get onto it.It will also be my potting shed and for starting my seedlings. I have some big panes of wire reinforced glass that I am looking at and wondering if I could make some sort of a cold frame? will have to do some research on that one.
I rang a local supplier and he recommended a mesh called "Handy mesh" for the shelves, it has smaller holes than reo and is quite big...it was 2X4 mts and galvanised so looks nice too .I cut it with my angle grinder and made the shelves to fit.
I also had the wire for the new chook pens sent at the same time so all systems go there next.Though I am kind of hoping my 18year old grandson in Perth might come over for a holiday and help with the lifting as the beams are BIG ! :( I offered him the bribe of a plane ticket for Christmas but early !) :lol: Some Grandmother! :D :D

I put in a variegated Salvia too today in my front herb garden ,it says its frost tender so I'll keep my fingers crossed for the poor thing,it was on the throw out table at KMART and cost me 51cents! :lol: ....I'll put some shademesh over it for a few more weeks yet.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:06 pm

Good luck with the rain kitkat, hope you get a good soak. And good luck with the salvia as well - I love them at the moment as the few I have only require some nice words or encouragement - and a cut back here and there!

If you have luck with the orchids let me know as I've been given several and seem to have no connection whatsoever, the poor things :cry: :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:50 am

Luzy , apparently dendrobiums don't like too much good stuff in their soil, they live in trees and in sandy soil so like a bushy sort of thing rather than potting mix or heavier soils. I planted one on a board tied with a pocket of bark and filled it with mulch from under the gum tree...it is about to flower ..and I only planted it in April! The others are in hanging baskets in sand...and one is budding, the others look ok but not flowering which doesn't surprise me at all! :D I even planted two in the crevice of my old grapevine ..just to see if they would grow there and they are! I am wondering if the mulchy stuff might cause rot to the vine though ..although it should be just like its own leaves really shouldn't it?
kitkat
Head Curator

Next

Return to Fruit and Produce