Herbs

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Postby Luzy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:19 pm

Wow Ben, that catmint sure took off. Now, are you goping to share your catmint secret... :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:03 pm

What a wonder worker - and a great idea. I'll tell you my secret to perpetual parsley - let one go to seed, save what seeds you can be bothered with and then put the rest in your compost bin. Parsley, as far as the eye can see - but the ones from the saved seeds are a bit poorly, while the compost ones thrive, even on being transplanted to where you want them. :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:21 pm

Hope you guys know that parsley only grows well where there is a dominant female :lol: :lol: (don't ask me how mine grows!)
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:33 pm

Ahh, so its the lady across the road's fault! :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:46 pm

Gee Ben your lemon balm looks great and flowering already ...mine isn't anywhere near flowering yet.,,you really have a green thumb.
:lol: Parsley likes dominant females huh ...well mine certainly grows well...what does that say about me HUH? :lol: :lol:
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:51 pm

The curly parsley can be really good, too, Ben. And the big old stalks are great for stocks etc. Have you ever tried tabouli using brown rice instead of burghil? Okay, so it's a different salad, but if you add the lemon juice and oil to the rice after it's cooked but while it's still hot, it's very yummy. Those tree onion tops are also good in tabouli. 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:36 pm

Yeah! You're hooked!! :D Aren't impulse buys wonderful :lol: I reckon you're going to just love trying different herbs, Herby! 8) I've also got a curry plant (about six months old now) - I'll have to do a bit of research... :lol: (Maybe, instead of transplanting it, you could just keep trimming it and have a small, thick curry?)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:43 am

Good one Ben - I like that... :lol: I've only found one reference to curry plant and a recipe for apricot curry using half a cup of curry plant leaves (used as an appetiser or cury accompaniment). It says to saute the leaves in olive oil really gently for about 20 minutes, drain, and then use the oil with the rest of stuff... I guess the leaves might be a bit tough :?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:52 am

I have the Thai Laksa plant and I use it a lot, it does seem to need a lot of water but muliplies well without being invasive.
Ben, that Evening Primrose you mentioned, I am presuming its the pink one? if so you will find that it does want to take over, however, I just persevere with it as it's so pretty.
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:40 pm

Ghee, huh. Hmm, that sounds really interesting. Can you use it in other types of cooking, like roasting etc? I'll have to try some.

Must admit that I don't mind that the curry plant is pretty 'useless'. It seems to love neglect, smells intersting when you brush it and the flowers are pretty good too! Mind you, I wouldn't want a heap of them - too many other tings to try! If you see Winter Tarragon, have a go at that - nice aniseed taste and fantatic yellow flowers late winter when nothing else seems to be out. And it grows in Melbourne... :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:38 pm

Hi Luzy, How is that "Walker's Low " going? I transplanted mine today, it was getting overgrown in the perennial bed so now is sitting near the Lemon tree. Not flowering yet but shouldn't be much longer. Daren't ask Ben how his is doing :lol: :lol:

Marrion

Postby Luzy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:55 pm

Hi Marrion,

Bet you knew that I'd run out and double check it after seeing yours... :lol: Yours is looking rather healthy and tall.

Despite things still having a bit of a chew on it, it's not looking too bad. And... it could possibly be getting buds!!!! (for the October flowering, that would be, huh?). Anyway, I'll have to take a comparison pic - after I weed around it a bit! :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:19 pm

Okay, so I didn't weed very much... I think you're is definitely bigger, Marrion, but nice to see them both growing well. I bet that Ben's is huge - how's it going, Ben?

:D (The little yellow thing behind it is a bit of golden marjoram that I stole off my 'big' plant. At least it's not dead...) :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:10 am

Nice catmint Ben, and flowering, too! Funny you should mention those fly things. I've noticed a whole heaps of fly things on several plants after our bout of 'stormy' weather last week. They don't really seem to be doing anything except look guilty! :shock:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Previous

Return to Fruit and Produce