Sick Mandarin tree?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Sick Mandarin tree?

Postby WendyC » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:43 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know what would be wrong with a mandarin tree that is in full fruit but has yellow spotty leaves? They aren't curling but kind of cupped in a V type shape down the middle. Is it a nutrient deficiency or a kind of disease? :?:

The fruit is horribly sour (which I think is normal at this time of the year) and there is a lot of them. I don't know how old it is exactly as it was here when we bought the place a year ago. We haven't touched the tree except to get the fruit off it and that was months back when they were sweet.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
WendyC
Cultivator

Postby kitkat » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:28 pm

Hi Wendy , I borrowed a book called What Garden Pest or disease is that? And it had a lot of good popictorial info on citrus problems. Unfortunately I have returned it to the library but you may be able to borrow it at your local library.I dsuggest you give your tree a good feed of citrus food and water it in well...that will give a qick response if it a deficiency problem...and it will help the tree if its not anyway.
good luck
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:49 pm

A photo posted on here often helps identify the problem Wendy.
Marrion

Postby WendyC » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:22 pm

Hi, after I made the post I was actually thinking that a photo would be a lot of help! :roll: I will be taking one tomorrow and will try and get it on the thread.

Kitkat, thanks for the suggestion regarding the book. The tree has been very well watered this winter thanks to all the rain we've had here but it hasn't been fertilised properly yet. We might have thrown a few handfuls of blood and bone on it quite a while ago but nothing since then. I'll have to remedy that soon.

It's the only citrus tree we have so it's probably been a bit neglected. :oops:
WendyC
Cultivator

Postby WendyC » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:17 pm

I hope this picture isn't too large.

WendyC
Cultivator

Postby Herby » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:46 pm

Hi Wendy,

Mine's doing that too, same as the last few years, it seems to just come good itself when the weather warms up.

not feeding it could well be the thing or cold or both so if you fertilise
and the weather comes good, she'll be apples!
i mean mandarines!
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Marrion » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:56 pm

It looks a bit like Citrus canker, but do hope I am wrong, will leave it to the citrus experts to determine for you.
Marrion

Return to Fruit and Produce