Chioggia Beetroot

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Chioggia Beetroot

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:51 pm

Just had to share this photo of one of our new beetroot - they're the Chioggia variety - red and white stripes. They appear to be doing very well!

Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:15 pm

Wow Sam - nice beetroot! You are going to be eating well! :D The colour looks really nice. I wonder if they'll stain your hands as much as the 'ordinary' ones? :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:12 am

Not so far, Luzy - they're a lot lighter in colour and don't appear to 'bleed' like the usual varieties. They also look prettier!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:47 pm

Apparently they lose their lovely white stripe when they are cooked :( Sad isn't it , they would look stunning bottled with that stripey core.Save one for seed Sam and if you want to swap I have plenty of Crimson Globe seeds.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Sam » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:08 am

They retain the stripe when you pickle them, and my mother used one to make 'beetroot in aspic' and said it looked really good in that.

I've just planted a second lot of them, but still have some seeds left if you want some.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:09 am

How do they taste, Sam? I guess compared to 'ordinary' red ones. :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:14 am

Probably best described as a more 'delicate' flavour, I guess. And sweeter.

I got the seeds from Diggers after trying to track seedlings down for a few years. Apparently a 'staple of Venetian cuisine from the 1580s', and another heirloom variety that is in danger of being bred out. Did you know that carrots used to come in a variety of colours until the Dutch decided that the orange ones we know today were what they wanted? That's why it isn't easy to get seeds for the others.

I'm going to try purple ones soon.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:04 pm

Sam I would love a few seeds if you can spare them....I was quoting the digger cat when I said they lose their white stripe ...I am pleased to hear they don't when pickled ...I love pickled beetroot...just pickled the last three jars of my winter beets and am ready to resow a new lot.I'll sedn to PM with my address .
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:01 pm

Hi Sam,

I like the sound of that and the 'sweeter' would make them really, really nice raw. I've tried the purple carrots and they're lovely, they keep the colour a bit when cooked (though we have them still a bit crunchy), and the purple bleeds into the simmering water a little. I let one go to seed (I reckon carrot flowers are simply beautiful, inside and out - even if they do shed a lot) and the purple variety had heaps more flowers than the orange ones. Could have been the position, though.
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:31 pm

Sam the greenpatch has white carrots on their list. http://www.greenpatch.com and I've seen another variety than the purple somewhere but can't remember where ...will check my catalogues.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Sam » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:51 am

Planted some more seeds, which seemed to come up but have disappeared. I think our seeds are a little too far past the use-by date. I'll try them again when the weather cools a bit.

Kitkat, how long do they take to go to seed? Do you just remove them from the flower? We are thinking that will be our best option.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce