sweeter tomatoes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

sweeter tomatoes

Postby jack » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:02 pm

if you want to get a sweeter, the way grandma grew tomatoe taste then apply sulphate of potash to the soil at planting and again as the flowers are produced.
Similar idea for citrus as well, spread it in a circle of 2 metres around the tree at the time the fruit is developing and water it in.
jack
Head Curator

Sweeter Tomatoes

Postby lynjoywal » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:18 pm

Hi
I use a teaspoon of Epsom Salts to 5 litres of water to sweeten fuits too!!!
Cheers
Lyn
lynjoywal
Apprentice

Postby Marrion » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:42 pm

Good old Epson Salts :lol: I give a dose to my Fuschias occasionally, it is actually Magnesium Sulphate.
I also use Sulphate of Potash as it is supposed to strengthens plants and makes them more weather and disease resistant. It also encourages flower formation and colour, providing better blooms and higher fruit yields. It is particularly beneficial to tomatoes (Y)
Marrion

Postby Pam » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:43 pm

if you want to get a sweeter, the way grandma grew tomatoe taste then apply sulphate of potash to the soil

Yes, they mentioned that a couple of weeks ago on Gardening Australia. If you can find a produce store that sells it in bulk, it is quite a bit cheaper than buying it pre-packaged in the nurseries.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce