Back in the game!

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Back in the game!

Postby Kerrie » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:26 pm

I just wanted to share my happiness with you all - I am FINALLY able to start up my vegetable garden again! I ended up with some unexpected physical hardships after having my baby that have kept me out of the garden, but over the past week I've gradually been clearing the weeds, and now it's PLANTING TIME!

My Mum brought over some dried green beans that she saved from last years crop, so I rigged up a tripod frame and planted some. I cannot express the satisfaction that this gave me, after watching my treasured vegetable patch slowly disintegrate during a year of forced inactivity.
She's bringing me some purple bean seedlings (she has too many) on Tuesday, and I'm thinking I'll plant some butterbeans as well - imagine the beautifully coloured salads I'll be able to produce!

All I have to do now is chase up the white zucchini seeds that my lovely first generation Italian-Australian neighbour saved for me from her garden last year - I asked after them last week, but her Mum took them home, so she has to get some back for me. Her Mum is a traditional Italian, and we formed an instant bond discussing gardening - the sense of community that is created by sharing the love of growing food is truly wonderful, and surpasses all cultural barriers.

This week's task... to grub out the blackberry and morning glory. Joy. Ah well, when I've done that, we can replant the kids' vegie patch too.

I'm excited!! (Apologies to Big Kev!)

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

good to hear

Postby jack » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:49 pm

kids vegie patch is that where you grew the kids?
maybe try the no dig method, ie newspaper, manure, compost over the weeds. are you putting in any spuds? over here in the west they have trebled in price over past few days so no idea whats going on their.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:51 am

Good on you Kerrie, that's fantastic! :D I agree with you that there's a lot of satisfaction to be had from growing your own, especially when it sounds like you've got a bit of a 'community' garden! :D Hope you'll let us know the progress :wink:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Re: Back in the game!

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:54 am

Kerrie wrote:I just wanted to share my happiness with you all - I am FINALLY able to start up my vegetable garden again! I ended up with some unexpected physical hardships after having my baby that have kept me out of the garden, but over the past week I've gradually been clearing the weeds, and now it's PLANTING TIME!

My Mum brought over some dried green beans that she saved from last years crop, so I rigged up a tripod frame and planted some. I cannot express the satisfaction that this gave me, after watching my treasured vegetable patch slowly disintegrate during a year of forced inactivity.
She's bringing me some purple bean seedlings (she has too many) on Tuesday, and I'm thinking I'll plant some butterbeans as well - imagine the beautifully coloured salads I'll be able to produce!

All I have to do now is chase up the white zucchini seeds that my lovely first generation Italian-Australian neighbour saved for me from her garden last year - I asked after them last week, but her Mum took them home, so she has to get some back for me. Her Mum is a traditional Italian, and we formed an instant bond discussing gardening - the sense of community that is created by sharing the love of growing food is truly wonderful, and surpasses all cultural barriers.

This week's task... to grub out the blackberry and morning glory. Joy. Ah well, when I've done that, we can replant the kids' vegie patch too.

I'm excited!! (Apologies to Big Kev!)

Kerrie

Morning Kerrie,

Its good to see you back in the garden again.
I hope that you are strong enough to start where you finished, BUT dont
overdo it ok :!: :!: :!: :!:
Take it easy for a while.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:12 pm

Well done Kerrie, am glad you are recovered and feeling fit again. There is nothing like being able to pick veggies from your own garden (Y)
Marrion

Postby kitkat » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:15 pm

Good news Kerrie, :D welcome back to the Earth gardeners 8) .....just be sure to step lightly until your body is sure it can accept the punishment you are planning for it! :lol: :lol:
kitkat
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce