Apricot tree

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Apricot tree

Postby toutourien » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:30 pm

My apricot tree was flourishing last year (planted winter 2004). Heaps of flowering and leave buds produced. This spring only a few flower buds opened and a couple set fruit. However, the leaves that did manage to appear all withered as though dry and many branches did not produce any growth at all. Any suggestions as to what may have caused this.
toutourien
Lawn trimmer

Postby kitkat » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:09 pm

Hi Toutourien, It could be that you have an infestation of either thrip or aphid that are sucking the goodness out as soon as the new leaf/flowers appear.
Did you spray at all when it was dormant? make sure you never apply sulphur sprays to Apricots as it burns the wood.
If the branches are oozing sap it is a disease called gummosis .....it can be cured though.There are several remedies available off the shelf as well as a few "home brews'.
This humis weather is setting all our apricots up for brown rot so watch for it ...and pick off any apricots that have one side going brown and soft...this is different to 'sunburn' which doesn't hut the fruit.it seems that
once a tree has a probloem it will often get others so you will need to be alert for a while.They are pretty tough trees though and will recover from even a severe pruning.
kitkat
Head Curator

Apricot tree

Postby toutourien » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:24 pm

Thanks KitKat. I didn't notice any aphids. I sprayed with Yates Copper Fungicide spray (just to use up what spray was left!) when I did the nectarines and peaches. Could this have caused the problem?
toutourien
Lawn trimmer

Postby kitkat » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:30 pm

Bordeaux spray is safe to use on Apricots as long as it is dormant ....it will burn new growth though. Make sure it doesn't have any sulphur in it as sulphur really burns apricots ...wood and all ..(as I know to my cost :cry: )
Give it a chance to recover with a good seaweed feed ...liquid seaweed is a tonic not a food and will help the roots fight off any problems up top.You can summer prune any dieback later but just make sure you water and feed it well during out hotter months..stress will add to its woes unfortunately....Apricots also like some dolomite lime well watered in.
kitkat
Head Curator

Apricot tree

Postby toutourien » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:05 pm

Many thanks, I'll try the seaweed and cross my fingers. I do know that the orchardist next door cut down all his apricot trees years ago as they didn't do at all well. I will ask him for more details next time I see him. We are 51/2k inland and experience severe frosts for months in winter, followed by very hot, dry summers. Not everyones' idea of Tassie.
toutourien
Lawn trimmer

Postby Marrion » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:41 am

Hi, I suspect your Apricot is suffering from leaf curl. There is a bit here about it http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s948346.htm
Marrion

Apricot tree

Postby toutourien » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:20 am

Thanks Marrion, but the symptoms do not look like leaf curl at all. The leaves are thin, weak and do not sprout fully before withering as though the stem had been cut. Could anything be attacking the roots?
toutourien
Lawn trimmer

Postby kitkat » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:42 pm

My bet is still on aphids or mites ....they do that exact thing to one of my plum trees...the tiny leaves are distorted and the tree looks sick...I have just sprayed it with pyrethrum ....but will need to do it again after the rain ..lovely though it was.... we had almost 100 mm!
Good luck and let us know how the poorold thing goes.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Another worthwhile link from SA govt site:
http://www.sardi.sa.gov.au/pages/hortic ... &tempID=83
Marrion

Apricot tree

Postby toutourien » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:12 am

Thanks for the suggestions. That SA Govt site is very good. The symption descriptions are detailed and courses of actions clearly explained. Although both eutypa dieback and bacterial canker produced similar symptions, my tree does not display (as yet?) any signs of gummosis.
I'll let you know what develops. Cheers
toutourien
Lawn trimmer

Return to Fruit and Produce