Two buckets of Broad Beans

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Two buckets of Broad Beans

Postby kitkat » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:19 pm

yes two buckets full ....now what am I going to do with them????

After such a poor start they took off and thoroughly surprised me ...now I need their ground for summer salads and had to pick them all ...interestingly when I pulled one up I noticed the white pustules of nitrogen collected amongst the roots ....so I cut the rest off at ground level and left the roots in to rot and add humus/nitrogen to the soil.The plants went into the deep litter and the hens are having a wonderful time throwing it all around and picking off any insects...eventually it will all come back into the garden as compost.

Does anyone have any experience with using broad beans in preserves or drying them ...I had planned to let them dry in place but couldn't wait any longer for the ground ....so now they are in the buckets on my kitchen floor ...I guess I will be podding beans tonight ......I can freeze some but really would like to dry some as lentils .....is anyone familiar with doing this?...help!
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Kerrie » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:10 pm

Sorry I have no experience of drying them, my Mum freezes them in plastic containers and then steams them or adds them to stews/soups.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby kitkat » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:27 pm

Thanks kerrie...does she shell them first (take off the outer husk from the green seed)? It is the seed husk that makes people not like broad beans ...the nice green seed inside is yummy but the husk can be unpalatable to some.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:54 pm

Afternoon ladies,

I picked some late last week and by the time I peeled them (1 hour later.)
I kept some aside in the fridge and made a stew the next day the rest I divided them up into freezer bags and put them in the freezer for later
use it will keep me going for awhile.
I was having a look at the vines in the garden this morning and there is still a few more to be picked soon.
Wonder if daughter in law would be interested :roll: :roll: :roll:

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:13 pm

I have left three bushes down the back garden for dry for seed so these ones I would like to preserve both by freezing and by drying ...but even with a google search I didn't really find a lot on drying them...and my food dryer instructions don't mention them either ...oh well if I can't find anything I'll just do a tray to see what happens ...no loss really as I'm sure the chooks will eat them if they don't work. :)
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Kerrie » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:41 pm

Yes, kitkat, she shells them and saves the seeds from inside the pods.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Luzy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:06 pm

Hi kitkat,

Amazing - I was going to ask how your broadbeans were going as mine are just revving up. We've had just over three kilos' worth now (in the pod), steamed with other vegies, blanched and tossed through salads, and some in the freezer. I reckon we'll get another pick from the main stems before a bit of a break for the side stems. What value! (I pick them really young so I don't have to worry about the outer husk - tried a recipe for 'double peeled' broadbeans once. What a waste of time and effort, as far as I could see, as they're so yummy young)

I reckon that you should be able to dehydrate them as well - if you can do carrots, you should be able to do beans! This link is for recipes from a dehydrator I've just had a bit to do with (not that I've got one, or the room for it :cry: :lol: )

http://www.hillmark.com.au/recipes/ezid ... vegetables

Good luck - the chooks shouldn't get all the fun! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:29 pm

Thanks for the link Luzy, I froze 2 kg and have 1kg drying in the sun ...on my dryer trays ...I decided to try sun drying as its 30 deg today ....saves on electricity....but must bring them in at night and watch for insect damage.
It gave me the impetus to defrost my freezer ....I needed to sort out a lot of unlabelled packages ...found lots of labels on the bottom! :lol:
I lost only four beans to the chocolate spot disease marking the seeds ...the rest was just on the stems thank goodness....apparently soapy water is a good antidote for chocolate spot ....now I find out!
In looking for oreservingg recipes (none really) I found a jewish site that tells the history of the Faba bean and how it used because it was a food that saved the iraelites from starvation ...it is now a main meal choice during their fasting periods...interesting....I'll bet they have found a good few ways to use them in 2000 years!
kitkat
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce