Tomato Plants

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Postby Sam » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:12 pm

Hi Ben,

I have no idea if they're ants or not, but a great fix for them is to dissolve some condy's crystals in a bucket of water (about half a teaspoon is plenty). Pour over the nest - works a treat for pot plants etc where you don't want to pour boiling water over a nest.

Good luck!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:44 pm

Oh Ben, sad news about the bean. We also have ants and nests and stuff - sad thing about suburbia as ants don't recognise borders and if you kill one and they move next door...

Any way, I have found that if if I give the soil a really good soak (a really, really good soak), you can tell if there's a nest in the vicinity - the ants come up gasping for air, carrying little white things that I presume are the eggs. Killing them is kind of hard as they seem really mobile and adaptable for where the nest should be, and I don't really want to use sprays and chemicals and stuff, partcularly with the vegies. I try to make it as uncomfortable as possible for the little critters so they will go next door. I just can't keep them out of the compost bin rotation, though :evil:

But, having said all of that, there's a vague ring in the back of my head that points to another beast on your bean roots - I'll check some books, or just have really bad dreams... :lol: :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:53 am

Careful with the boiling water - it will kill any plants as well as the ants. Condy's crystals are available at chemists.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:52 am

Hi Ben,

Apparently mealy bugs can attack roots, though if only one of your beans was affected you're probably safe. You probably did the best thing by just getting rid of it. :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:34 pm

A dish of brown sugar, best, and borax, covered, will get rid of ant nests. I have no pets wandering around so can use safely.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:13 pm

I use icing sugar and borax to get rid of ants .....just leave tiny piles near the nest or sprinle down the holes.....it clogs up their innards and the others eat the dead ones so it continues through the nest......I wish it worked for termites too!I live in fear of them eating my house.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:09 pm

Gosh ben you must have a lovely warm microclimate in your yard ....or you are the greenest thumb gardener I ever knew. Your veg are so far ahead!! My butter beans just came up and the others are just about at the 6 inch stage so I have a looooong way to go yet! great gardening herbie! :D
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:45 pm

Hey Ben!!! Maybe us Melbournians finally have a one-up :shock: .

While my climbers are still sulking (pumpkin's in the way; bird netting doesn't suit; could I have a bit more light; Arrrgghh, the bird's taking me away...) the few bush beans I put in early are beaning!!!!! I'll have at least half a dozen (sounds better than six) in a few days =p~

But I do like to think that you're the Greenest Thumb Gardener - nice title kitkat! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:42 am

Yes Ben, I agree with the girls you would have to be the Produce King ! I have only a small veggie patch but husband has just decided to go into competition with me and has put in another larger one - this means I won't have to grow spuds any more and will have more room for other veggies.
Marrion

Postby kitkat » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:45 pm

Any one know anything about tiny flies on the beans???? ..I have millions of what look like tiny vinegar flies on the painted lady beans ...they (so far) don't appear to have done any damage but there are so many that the leaves are black with them which doesn't augur well ...does it? I've never had them before.
kitkat
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce