Olives

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Olives

Postby Ann Rifkin » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:22 pm

We have 2 olives trees which we planted about 3 years ago. They were about 18 months old when we bought them. We were advised that we should water them well in June and July so they would get "flowers". We did this and lots of "flowers" appeared on one of the trees. We then received some much needed rain and all the "flowers" promptly fell off. Can anyone explain why this happened.

Oh well, maybe next year we'll have some olives to pickle!!

It's amazing what a little rain does to the rest of the garden though, isn't it? Hoping for lots more where that came from.

Regards,

Ann
Ann Rifkin
Lawn trimmer

olives

Postby jack » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:07 pm

as a general rule rain during flowering for a lot of plants can cause them to loose the flowers, if not in the rain then a day later from rot. is why some farmers pray for fine weather at that time.
jack
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:46 pm

I brought a Pictual and a kalamata from GE so they will cross pollinate ..then I found two to a pot on special at Safeway so brought four more ...they are much more advanced and are flowering now......my olive grove actually looks like it has begun now ..yahoo.....I will install drippers to each tree next and then continue my search for more ....maybe I can take some cuttings in Autumn and strike them ???
We will all be pickling olives and pressing for oil before we can imagine.....here is a site that sells presses for anyone who is serious about utilising their crop.
I found it when looking for a fermenter for my apple cider making.
http://www.winequip.com.au/
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Sam » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:12 pm

Thanks a bunch, Kitkat. That site could get addictive - I love gadgets like that!

Here's a photo of our olives - we're very proud. The tree has been in for about 2 or three years. Can't remember what sort it is.

Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:25 pm

Hi Sam,

Your olives look fantastic! :D I've always admired the trees I see around - it must be so exciting having one to check on as it progresses. Very nice! :D :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:45 pm

I am most impressed your olives look so healthy .....will you share your recipes with us when you preserve/cook them?
I thought I would have to wait six years for fruit so now am hoping for sooner ..thanks for sharing.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Sam » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:02 pm

We're very excited that things are happening so quickly (!) - bearing in mind that we don't eat them - our friends can't believe we're so thrilled about the fruit...but we're looking forward to pickling and preserving!

I'll put the recipes up on the forum soon. Thanks for the comments!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce