Dutch Cream Potatoes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Dutch Cream Potatoes

Postby Marrion » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:56 am

I planted some Dutch Cream potatoes for the first time this season, followed by a couple of rows of Up-to-dates several weeks later. I noticed the Up-to-dates were flowering and no sign of any on the Dutch Creams which appeared to be dying off. I thought they were no good so pulled up a dead looking plant and to my amazement found heaps of potatoes ready for harvesting (past the "new" stage). Is this usual for this variety? Have never known potatoes not to flower :-? :-? :-?
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:08 pm

Could be the way they are, Marrion? One of my potato beds is mixed and they're growing like wildfire and flowering. I have one bed of kipflers that were in earlier and growing really well - half the bed is just starting to yellow off and none have flowered. I peeked, and there are some good sized potatoes there. The bit of the bed that hasn't yellowed off doesn't show any sign of flowering...

I guess I'll just take what spuds I can! :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:23 pm

Herby wrote:I've never heard of dutch spuds before, I've never seen them
in the seed spud range, would like to try them next year if i can find them though :)

In Tassie we buy our potatoes at the supermarket by name, I noticed when I was on the mainland that they are just "potatoes"
Let me know if you can't find the Dutch Creams and it may be possible to send some over. Here is a photo of a crop from one of the plants:
Marrion

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:05 am

Hi Marrion,

They look like yummy chips.
Are they a chip type or a mashed type.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:13 pm

Well that name gave me a nice reminder Ben ...I used to live right beside the Toolangi Research Station ...where they invented all the new varieties of spuds.We weren't allowed to grow spuds there or raspberries or strawberries either...because if they flowered they may get over the mountain and cross pollinate the new varieties they were working on ....interesting ...If only I knew then what I know now...we were downstream of them and all our drinking water came from the creek below their dam ..I now know they used to to DDT to kill bugs in the spuds ...ugh.....but the water tasted wonderful then....and thank goodness all my children grew without any associated problems .They do say that water purifies its self every 100 metres if it tumbles over rocks downhill ...and it did...... so maybe we were lucky.
Incidentally Toolangi has a very Tasmanian climate ....and lovely tree ferns everywhere too.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:31 pm

Mmmmm - nice Marrion. And it really is amazing for a non-flowering spud! Hope my kipflers come half as close. They're still yellowing-away but, as we don't need spuds at the minute, I'll leave them until we do.

Ben, what is it you love about the red-skins so much?

I've only grown multiple varieties for two years now and am curious to learn more about the different types - just haven't had enough experience yet as we've eaten them as and how needed. But there are definitely different textures in spuds when cooked. My mixed patch at the moment has either white or purple flowers - didn't noticed that last year.
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:07 pm

Me too ben ...I have a flower bed that had spuds five years ago and every year I get one plant in it ...strange.
Mine are all flowering now and do you know ...I don't think the tyre spuds are any more advanced than the ones in the ground really ....and I thought they would be .
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:25 pm

My Iris bed was originally my husband's potato patch. It became neglected so I claimed it. After 4 years of growing Iris there it still sprouts several potato plants each year.
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:39 pm

This one's got me wondering...

A potato has come up where I had the sweet potato last year. Didn't notice any huge birds around :shock: :? :lol:

Hi Marrion - how's the Mrs Marrion vs Mr Marrion vegie patch contest coming along? Hope none of your seedlings have gone astray... :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:42 pm

Slowly :lol: but I donated the Sweet Corn seedlings as I haven't room for them in mine :lol: :lol:
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:32 pm

Baby kipflers for dinner tonight - I just couldn't wait!!! :D :D The weigh-in has started :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:45 pm

Have never tried those Kipflers, or even heard of them :-? What variety is similar, Luzy?
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:19 pm

Appently, Kipflers are an Austrian potato and, from the description in the catalogue, are similar to your Dutch Cream in that they also have a creamy yellow flesh. But Kipflers are kind of elongated, rather than normal spud shape. There seemed to be a fad on in Melbourne for a while and Kipflers were 'the' gourmet potato to serve. I use them baked or steamed, though refuse to buy them most of the time because of the 'gourmet' price tag. I'll see if I can get a pic when I burrow for some more... :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:17 pm

Luzy wrote:Hi Marrion - how's the Mrs Marrion vs Mr Marrion vegie patch contest coming along? Hope none of your seedlings have gone astray... :D

Thought you might like an update on the boss' veggie patch :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: He couldn't buy any seed potatoes in Hobart so challenged his Irish friend in the NW of the state (the home of the potato), and was sent all these :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marrion

Postby Luzy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:52 pm

Ooo, do you think he's got enough there to see you through the summer? :lol: It looks good (not as good as your Dutch Creams, though...) and so lovely and green around. :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:59 pm

It is very green here at the moment, we went from severe winter drought to a bumper season, once the drought broke, it has rained continually, the continual rain is now holding up the hay harvesting - typical farmer, always complaining :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:38 pm

The kipfler harvest is over. All up, we got about 2.5kg from eight plants, none of which flowered. Not terribly good, I guess, but we've had some good feeds and still some left (and a couple to try for an autumn harvest). I saw some kipflers in the shops this morning at $4.99 a kilo - that made me feel a lot better! :lol:

Much to hubby's disgust, the crookneck squash are going well and I've been getting a nice handfull of beans every two or three days - just enough to keep us fed!

And our lawn is down to dandelions and not much else - oh well! :D 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:10 pm

That's a nice basket of harvest, Luzy (Y) The Kipflers certainly do look like the Dutch Creams and obviously don't flower either :-?
If you run out will scrump some from the boss' veggie patch for you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:58 am

Now that sounds good - bet he wouldn't even notice... :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce