Peach tree dead branches/bitten leaves

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Peach tree dead branches/bitten leaves

Postby suzer » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:41 pm

My peach tree has less than a dozen fruit on it this year, about half the main branches are dead, and some leaves are obviously bitten. I just cut off a man branch and saw inside some dead bugs(?) and a cocoon of some sort...the bugs are tiny, at least I think they are bugs. It needs some serious trimming as it has been neglected the past few years (been away and rented the house out), plus I need to clear away weeds at the base. Any other suggestions and what do I use to get rid of these bugs if in fact that is what it is?

Cheers
Suzer
suzer
Cultivator

Re: Peach tree dead branches/bitten leaves

Postby greg.l » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Peach trees suffer from a few common diseases incl. peach leaf curl and bacterial canker. Having weeds grow around will only make things worse. I don't know about the bugs in the tree but suspect they may have been just feeding on dead material rather than causing the problem. Canker can cause branches to die back. Maybe give the tree a good hard pruning and a good topdressing of manure and fertiliser.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby suzer » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:11 pm

It's creeper grass that has grown around the base. Thanks for the tips. The bark on one entire main branch looks odd and peeling away to an extent (this is the one that I had cut the portion off and found the bugs). I'll work on trimming it etc. Wondering if I may need to spray it with something, but perhaps I should take a photo and/or take some leaves to the local nursery or hardware store. Looks like all the fruit that is growing has some odd brown spots as well. No peach pie this year:(
suzer
Cultivator

Postby The Estate » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:50 am

Oh well, after a good trim back and a good feed you'll have lots for next year, BTW welcome to the forum, my peach tree is loaded this year, a record crop, will have to have a peach party to divvy up the bounty :lol:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby suzer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:51 pm

I finally got a dozen peaches this year. Using ash around the base of the tree for the past couple of years after ripping out all the grass worked a treat - still a tiny bit of leaf curl to treat but no more bugs!
suzer
Cultivator

Return to Fruit and Produce