Moving a tomato plant

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Moving a tomato plant

Postby Tranquility » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:03 pm

Hi there - I've got 5 tomato plants growing very well at the moment...however, with my inexperience in the garden I've planted them a little too close and one of my plants is pretty much being blocked from sunlight by the enormous 'Bragger' tomato plant which has grown sideways as much as it has upways!

I have another spot where I might be able to place this other bush - but I'm worried about killing the plan when moving it. I've had bad experiences with moving plants in the past.

Any idea of what my chances are of killing this tomato plant are by moving it? The bushes are about 2 months old and about 1.5 to 2 feet tall.

Thanks
Tranquility
Lawn trimmer

Postby Luzy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:04 am

Hi Tranquility,

A few years back at a rented house I discovered that the vegie patch included a hidden access point to the storm water system - the waterboard of course wanted to look at it and 'moved' several maturing plants including a tomato.The bloke wasn't too bad about it and included a huge shovel-full of soil with each plant that I did replant. The tomato did eventually come good, after sulking for a while and having lots of shoots cut off it but it was a cherry-type and those seem fairly tough.

Personally, I'd give moving a try if I thought there wasn't much chance of the plant performing where it is now. It would need lots of TLC and perhaps a few doses of weak Seasol or the like. Though, if your bushes are only two months old and that size, it sounds like you've got Tomato Heaven where you are. :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Tranquility » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Luzy. I think I'll give the move a try as when I looked at the plants last night, every plant except the one which is blocked from the sun is has fruit (the Cherry is going off - at least 24 fruits, with 3 or 4 going red already!).

Will let you all know how they go!'

Thanks again
Tranquility
Lawn trimmer

Postby Luzy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:42 pm

Geez, and I thought a coupe of mine were going okay, with two-and-a-bit just set... :lol: What area are you in Tranquility? And good luck with the move! :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:52 am

Tranquility, when you replant it, I'd plant it deeper than it originally was - it will send out new roots from the newly buried length of stem. The seasol sounds like a good idea.

You could also make up an anti-transpirant to help prevent it wilting following the move, by mixing 1 part pva wood glue to 10 parts water and spraying the TOP surface of the leaves only prior to the move. The person I learned this from has successfully moved huge trees in the UK, with no set-back - tomatoes should be a breeze! :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Tranquility » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:04 pm

Hi all - I moved the plant this morning - already starting to wilt (unfortunately didn't see the suggestion from Pam) but we'll see how it goes. Not too fussed if it doesn't work out, there are 4 other healthy plants which all have fruit on them.

As for my location, I'm in Adelaide. Just after I planted them, we had some really good growing weather - the days went like sun, sun, sun, sun, rain, sun sun sun, rain, sun sun sun, rain. And now the weather is pretty warm and sunny without rain, so the tomatos are loving it.

I've noticed the soil is quite sandy looking too, do tomatoes like sandy soil? As for feeding, I'm using a Tomato Food every two weeks, watering once per week. I didn't prepare the soil or anything, just put them in and away they went!

Incidently, I ate the first cherry tomato that I grew today - tasted beautiful and the aftertasted lasted a good couple of minutes. Satisfying!
Tranquility
Lawn trimmer

Return to Fruit and Produce