Feeding your veggie patch and tomatoes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Feeding your veggie patch and tomatoes

Postby Milt » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:04 am

Hey guys I am new to these forums have been a gardener for 2 seasons and am wanting your opinion on the following:

Last year I tried something different with regard to watering my veggies I soaked a shovel full of manure in a bucket of water over night and watered my tomatoes and cucumbers with the smelly water. Are there any benefits to doing this and are there any goodies in it for the plants? I had a reasonable crop of fruit and am wondering if i should stick to conventional watering?

Also my tomatoe plants are about a metre in height at the moment and are starting to flower, when can I expect fruit to form and is it normal for the first flowers not to fruit? I prune the new lower branches in order for air to circulate and to promote growth up top is this the right thing to do?

I have put a good deal of cow manure in my patch in August before I planted the tomatoe seeds, do I need to fertilise later on in December? So far the Melbourne weather has been kind to my plants let hope for a nice warm summer.

Thanks in advance for any helpfull responses.

Regards Milt
Milt

Postby Luzy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:37 pm

Yep, Ben's right Milt. Mulch is great for tomatoes, especially if you've already given them a goof dose of manure in the soil beforehand. Tomatoes seem to like lots of mulch and will make extra roots to feed more if the mulch is deep enough. The mulch breaking down will give them a good feed too. The manure water would also help. I believe that you can let it soak for a lot longer, though you'd probably have to dilute the solution before you gave it to your vegies so it doesn't burn them.

Good luck with it all and hope you let us know how it goes! :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:54 pm

I made the mistake of over-feeding my tomatoes last year and ended up with huge leafy bushes at the expense of fruit :cry:
Marrion

some fact sheets

Postby jack » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:31 pm

also consider planting seedling onions in around the tomatoe bed, i find this is great at keeping away some bugs. with seedlings you find that a punnet of 6 may contain 30 plants, so be ruthless and wash the soil from around the seedlings then plant them in at random.
http://www.abc.net.au/perth/stories/s1082495.htm
http://www.tomato.com.au/
http://www.organicdownunder.com/how_to_grow_tomatoes.htm
http://www.permacult.com.au/plants/
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/easygardening/tomato/tomato.html
jack
Head Curator

Postby milt » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 am

Thanks guys,

I will keep you updated on how its all progressing, is it normal for the first flowers to dry up and turn brown on a tomatoe plant? I seem to have lots of flowers on my plants but they are eventually drying up and 1 or 2 are beginning to fall off? Is this normal for the begining of summer? Or are my planting lacking in some nutrient?

The flowers are big and bright yellow.

Thanks Milt,
milt
Head Gardener

Postby Luzy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi Milt,

I've been told that tomatoes need a certain temperature (20 or something like that) in order to set fruit - Melbourne's been a bit here and there lately so maybe your flowers are just doing the ultimate sulk. As long as the plants are growing and seem healthy, there shouldn't be anything to worry about - things should get better once Melbourne has some stable warm weather. :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby milt » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:21 pm

Come to think of it this make sence the last week the weather has been very up and own, thanks for the advice Luzy. Somebody tell the weather gods to heat things up a bit.

Milt,
milt
Head Gardener

Postby milt » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:38 am

Success 7-8 tomatoes have appeared and are now about the size of large wallnuts. The cucumber have started to fire up too, lots of flowers and little cucumbers that seem to be turning yellow and drying up is this normal too?

Milt,
milt
Head Gardener

Postby Sam » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:38 pm

Whichever of you spoke to the weather gods to heat things up a bit - be a bit clearer next time! You sent them up to Queensland by mistake - and we don't need them! Hopefully our heatwave will be over soon. The rain we had last night was nice, but a bit too violent in parts. At least we didn't have any damage here.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:55 pm

Umm, sorry Sam. :oops: It must have been me as Milt's pleas to the Gods seemed to have worked where he is, but my tomatoes are still asking for another jumper (they'll get theirs soon...). Glad you didn't get any damage.

Good on you Milt, sounds like your tomatoes are on their way. You might also have to be patient with the cucumber as well. Though, if you're really keen, you could try fertilising the flowers to make sure that's getting done and see if that makes a difference? I do it with the pumpkins, and have had about a 80 per cent sucess rate, but haven't been bothered with the cucumbers as they seem to finally come good.
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce