Wild rocket lettuce

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Wild rocket lettuce

Postby milt » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:58 am

Yummy!!!!!

Do any of you grow it? When should I plant it here in Melbourne or have I missed the boat? Where could I get seed for it it doesn't appear as though as though Eden seeds or the diggers website sell them.

Milt,
milt
Head Gardener

Postby Luzy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:50 pm

Hi Milt,

Diggers does have the wild rocket - it's called Arugula. I grow it all year round, though at this time of year it goes to seed quickly - can still have a pick off it. Maybe you could try a couple of progressive plantings. (And it is very yummy!) :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby milt » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:29 pm

How long does the plant live for and produce eadible leaves? After doing a bit of research when the plant is young the leaves are tender and have a different taste altogether than when the plant is mature. How many plants should i plant if I want to pick a hand full of leaves off each week. I have a very small garden hence the question.

Not only is it yummy, but apparently its great for cleaning the blood and digestion???

Milt,
milt
Head Gardener

Postby Luzy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:13 pm

Hi Milt,

The wild rocket doesn't seem to have taste change as it gets older as much as the 'normal' rocket. I've got a plant still going from last season and one (though it's probably multiple plants really close, knowing me) that I planted in May that is now going to seed, but we're still picking from it. But others have only lasted for a few months. :?

You could try planting a few and see how they go, size wise, in your garden. You could also make successive plantings, so you've always got nice young ones coming on, and if you've got too many you could always pull some up.

I'll see if I can take a pic of mine - might give you an idea of the size (and wildness). I'll put it the Garden Gallery in the Vegie Flowers thread. :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:01 pm

Hey milt,

I took a pic of the rocket yesterday and it looked so sad because of the rain we'd had I couldn't possibly put you off with it... :shock:

Anyway, the planting is actually four plants and spreads across three maturing silver beet - but neither seem to be hindering each other root wise. The rocket group would probably be about 60cm wide, a little wider for the flower heads. If you like it looking pretty, you could probably prune it (and eat the prunings).

I can see if it sets some seed if you (or anyone else) is interested? I haven't saved the seed before but it should be okay as what's gone into the compost has come up other places. :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:22 pm

Would love some seeds, Luzy, have only grown the other Rocket variety.
Marrion

Return to Fruit and Produce