Crook Tomatoes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Crook Tomatoes

Postby Sako » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:10 pm

Hi
Im having a few troubles with my tomatoes, the leaves are curling over. The variety is Black Russian & my Roma's are starting to do it as well. See pic of the Big Black Russian plant.

Any ideas of what the problem is would be great, plants are starting to fruit now. Im in Canberra

Sako
Apprentice

Postby Kerrie » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:32 pm

If those are actually white flecks on the leaves and not just light reflecting, it looks very much like powdery mildew!
I'm pretty sure the treatment for that is to spray with a mixture of 1/10 milk to 9/10 water, and make sure the leaves are coated with it top and bottom.

If there is no white on the leaves and it is just the photo, then the leaf curl can be caused either by sap-sucking insects, in which case you may need to spray, or by an irregular water supply. If the drainage is inadequate the tomatoes might be a little waterlogged or stressed, in which case the leaves should revert to normal when the plant dries out a little and it will be fine. The same relates to underwatering, but I don't think that is the problem in this instance, given that the plants next to your tomatoes look quite lush.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Sako » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:42 pm

The white powder is Derris dust, the black Russian is the only tomato that is in strife :cry:
Sako
Apprentice

Postby Kerrie » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:24 pm

Got me then.. I'd be guessing perhaps root rot from overwatering, other than that I'm out of suggestions!

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Marrion » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:43 am

I would watch the tomato carefully as it's only the Black Russian that has it, it may have some kind of viral disease and it it gets worse I would get rid of it by burning the plant so that you don't spread it.
Marrion

MY Black Russian is also 'crook'

Postby bluey » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:27 pm

Hi Sako,

I'm down in Gippsland and have exactly (well, it sounds like it as the picture isn't currently there) the same issue with my Black Russian. Unlike my other tomatoe plants, this one curled up at the edges- largely on the new growth, but then would return to normal. And, I hadn't observed this to happen before.

I'd put it down to some cold wind, after further observation- I just couldn't rip it out!- and perhaps I'd been over-enthusiastic with the watering- as the other postings suggest...

Are your BRs thriving now with all the warm weather?
bluey
Apprentice

Return to Fruit and Produce