Corn question

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Corn question

Postby Grubby1 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:33 am

Hi everybody,

I'm new to these forums but have been cruising them for the last few days. Loads of interesting stuff!

I bought some corn seedlings from one of my local nurseries and planted them out. This all went very successfully and they are growing like weeds.

My problem is that in the punnet of 8 seedlings there were 2-3 seedlings in each "punn" (if that makes sense). I planted them as they came out of the punnet not even thinking about it.

The corn is set out in two rows of four and I am unsure if I shoud thin them out so I only have 8 plants rather than 18-odd. Please help! Will they be ok if I just let them keep going like this? Or will there be too much competition from each other for nutrients?

Sorry if it took ages to load with the pics, I'm not very good at re-sizing yet.
[img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/Grubby1_1979/PC030007.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/Grubby1_1979/PC030008.jpg[/img][/img]
Grubby1
Cultivator

Postby Sam » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:18 pm

Hi Grubby,

Welcome aboard!

Personally, I would thin the corn - it grows best in 'blocks', not rows - this helps with the pollination. Plant it into maybe four rows of four.

Good luck - and keep posting pics.

Also, with your profile, it sometimes helps if you put in where you are - this helps with answering your questions.

Sam

PS - if you want to know anything about posting photos and resizing, check with Marrion - she's set me straight in the past and I'm nearly getting the hang of it!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Grubby1 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome :D

I'm going to try thinning them out tomorrow to 3 rows of 5 as the veggie patch is very full and a block of 4x4 just won't fit. One of the ladies at work is happy to take my left over seedlings.

Thanks again!
Grubby1
Cultivator

Postby Luzy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:07 pm

Hi Grubby1, and welcome!

Wow, if those were seedlings from a nursery, your garden must be awesome! They look fantastic! (Y)

Good luck with the transplant - looks like you've got an interesting vegie patch there! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Grubby1 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:22 am

Thanks Luzy :D,

I think I got a little enthusiastic after seeing my dad's veggie garden which is now almost all of my parents backyard.

The veggie patch contains:

2 tomato plants (beefsteak and apollo)
8 celery plants
18-odd corn
8 brown red mignonette lettuce
3 side shooting onions
2 kipfler potato
13 beans seedlings

I think I may have over-planted!
Grubby1
Cultivator

Postby Marrion » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:56 am

Hi Grubby, there is nothing like enthusiasm for gardening, well done (Y) Nice to have you on board. :)
Marrion

Postby Grubby1 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:11 am

Thanks to all for the welcome :)

I separated the seedlings this morning and put them out in 3 rows of 5. I hope they all survive!
Grubby1
Cultivator

Postby Marrion » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:21 am

I am sure they will survive, they look so healthy, just keep the water up to them while they settle in - a watering of Seasol would be beneficial for this.
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:02 pm

So far they look really good! Marrion's suggestion of the Seasol is good also (and I love it when she says 'Seasol' as it's a good reminder - I keep forgetting - so I'll be out Seasolling after this...) :)

You vegie patch sounds lovely, with a beautiful mix. I can just see a wonderful salad, with buttered corn and potatoes on the side - very nice. Hope it all goes well! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce