mandarin trees in Adelaide.

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

mandarin trees in Adelaide.

Postby scamper » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:21 am

I have two pots of Mandarin trees which I have grown from the pips. They are approaching six inches high already. Will they ever grow fruit? Should I plant them out in the garden or wait until they are much bigger? Will they enjoy growing in clay soil? I grew a lemon this way and planted it out when it was about four feet high but it has never produced fruit . It is growing under pine trees. Shshshs! My self sown nectarin? or peach? or something? has two fruits on. They are about as big as a small walnut at the moment. Don't breathe too close. Scamper. :)
scamper
Head Gardener

Postby Damien » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:53 am

Im in adelaide as well, always wanted to grow a fruit tree. Perhaps lemons or lime. Can this be done in a pot? How did you go about it? I mean did you take the pips out of a lemon and dry them? Then plant?

Curious.

Damien
"oh that says plant one metre apart... oh i see..."
Damien
Head Curator

reply re fruit trees to Damien.

Postby scamper » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:22 am

Hello Damien,
I don't know whether I put the answer to your question in the right place. In case I didn't I will tell you again. The lemon tree that I grew in a very big pot until it got to be about three feet high . I think I planted the whole lemon. One of those large ones with bumps on full and juicy.
with the mandarins i saved the pips as I ate the Madarins and when there was quite a little pile I put them into a water-well pot and there they grow. Then I began saving pips again and planted another lot and so there they are on the ktchen windowsill, telling me to be brave and plant them somewhere. Trouble is I need to dig a hole.Grr! :)
scamper
Head Gardener

Postby Damien » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:03 pm

A whole lemon!

Right im gonna try that! I actually put a garlic clove in the ground and its growing! Dont know if im game to eat it. Did some internet reading on them and some sites say its good, others say to avoid eating them. Apparently im to wait until the green leaves die off.....

Damien
Damien
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:09 pm

Hi folk,

I reckon that if you want to have a go at it, have a go at it. It's fascinating what might or can or will happen.

Don't know about the citrus, as it seems that they're mostly grafted onto robust rootstock these day, but those ones with bumps that you mentioned, scamper, might be what I know as a common lemon (fantastic flavour - lived on a dairy for a while where they were growing wild in the back paddocks). You guys might get a fantastic tree(s) - good luck with it.

And you should be right with the garlic, Damien. 'The books' say it should be planted in autumn and harvest should be starting from about now. Kitkat eats the green tops (I guess that would be a bit like garlic chives). I'd suggest to wait until your plants yellow off and look ready for the compost, dig them up and then eat them if they look yummy - or put them back for another season.

You don't know until you try and even different gardens in the same area can make things grow differently. Go for it... :D :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

for Luzy

Postby scamper » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:00 pm

Thank you for your advice Luzy. If all these mandarin trees grow fruit I'll have started an orchard. Boy would I enjoy that. At the moment all the cherry plums are beginning to ripen. I had breakfast on foot this morning. I eat too many every year. I used to make jam, wine, chutney, sauce and enjoy doing it but the trees are getting old and tired too so now I eat a few and give some away but theres no-one here to want the jam or wine and I can't eat or drink it. Scamper :D
scamper
Head Gardener

for Luzy

Thank you for your advice Luzy. If all these mandarin trees grow fruit I'll have started an orchard. Boy would I enjoy that. At the moment all the cherry plums are beginning to ripen. I had breakfast on foot this morning. I eat too many every year. I used to make jam, wine, chutney, sauce and enjoy doing it but the trees are getting old and tired too so now I eat a few and give some away but theres no-one here to want the jam or wine and I can't eat or drink it. Scamper :D
scamper
Head Gardener

for Luzy

scamper
Head Gardener

Postby Luzy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:49 pm

Nice, healthy breakfast, scamper! We've had two seasons of plums now and gorge on the fruit that the birds don't get at. I have made plum sauce as well, and tend to open all my recipe books at chutney/sauce recipes and then make it all up as the plum sauces in them sound a bit boring. Do you have a specific recipe for your chutney/sauce? There's a recipe topic in the Fruit & Produce section... :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Damien » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:04 pm

So when i go to coles on the weekend..... i'll look for a lemon with a bump. We have a lemon in our fruit bowl but i think the boss looks at me like im nuts sometimes.... "where did the lemon go?"

Damien
Damien
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:06 pm

In Tassie the Meyer lemon is the best one to grow and they are great to eat right off the tree - I eat the peel too :P they are quite sweet =p~
Marrion

to Marrion.Luzy and Damien

Postby scamper » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:42 am

Thank you for your mails. Good luck with your lemon growing. I have many recipes for preserving goodies but don't need them any more. I've nearly forgotten how to peel potatoes. I cook so little these days. I make one big stew enough for a large family and freeze it so I don't have to cook daily. Being on a no fat, no sugar, no salt diet adds up to no zest for goodies. I have a completely hedonistic lifestyle these days. I should have got old years ago would have saved me a mass of energy. :D I think it was Luzy who asked about recipes. Did you mean that you want one? I will happily send if you do. Don't want to bore you. Marrion , my sister used to eat lemons just like that and they weren't Myer lemons either. Scamper.
scamper
Head Gardener

Postby Sam » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:28 am

Scamper,

We're never bored talking about anything to do with gardening!

Any good recipes you have would be great - someone started a recipe thread - post them there for us to share!

Thanks
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Damien » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:58 pm

I love cooking as well!

So did you plant the whole lemon knob side down? *shrugs*

Damien
Damien
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce