Re Thornless Blackberries

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Re Thornless Blackberries

Postby mousiehousie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:31 am

Ha anyone grown the thornless Blackberries and if so what do you think of them ? I got one this year and struggling through the heat it managed to have a few berries come to ripeness. HOWEVER ..... they taste nothing like blackberries :shock: . Now it isn't my imagination as there is a wild one growing along from us a bit that has fruit. It tastes like blackberry. These ones of mine seem to have none or very little taste at all.Just a slightlly sourish blah . Is this the way they are ...if so mine is coming out ! ..... or has it been mislabelled [ it looks like a blacberry ] ..... the season ...or what ? It is ripe as they fall off when touched , are black and soft. Is it a case that they are crossed with something else to make them thornless and in doing so they are degraded in other ways ? Enquiring minds want to know ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
mousiehousie
Gardening Sage

Re: Re Thornless Blackberries

Postby guzzigirl » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:45 am

I have some growing basically unattended ( I don't water or feed them) and I find they are still sour when the fruit is firm, and have to be really soft to be sweet, by which time they seem to be overripe and deteriorate quickly. They also seem to have hard bits other than seed in the centre. I find the flavour pretty average too which is why I don't bother looking after them, and one day I will probably rip them out and put something else there.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby Tini » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:18 am

I planted mine last winter and it was not doing so well before the heatwave, and since has died. Thank you for your information, I won't bother replacing them this winter, and I suddenly feel so much better...... :D
Tini
Curator

Postby greg.l » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:54 am

I had one in a pot a which just declined and has disappeared, no fruit.
I did get about 4 kg from the wild blackberries, lovely jam.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby goldbullion » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:25 am

Unfortunately you are dead right. The cultivated thornless blackberries are a disappointment. We used to pick the wild berries until the local council used weed killer on them. When my family went to day trips to a u-pick berry farm in the summer (mainly for blueberries) they had a few rows of cultivated blackberries. Their taste was like you described; they were awful, unedible and nothing remotely like the flavour of the wild ones.
goldbullion
Head Gardener

Postby mousiehousie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:31 am

Right , that's it ! mine is coming out !!! a waste of space. I always complained that the ones you buy in the shops were sour and tasteless. This explains why !! Stands to reason that they wouldn't be picking commercialy from bushes that are so thorny like the wild ones are. What a bummer . They are the only berries I like and I thought growing my own was going to be so good . Slipped up badly there :shock: Will have to find something else to grow on the trellis Mr M built specially for it.
mousiehousie
Gardening Sage

Postby Denise » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:00 am

Try Boysenberries. They're gorgeous and also easy to grow. They are thorny though.
Denise
Head Gardener

Postby eddiemonster » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi my thornless blackberry is going great i have it in a large pot so it does not take over the garden i water it very well every 2 days and add liquid food once a week seaweed stuff wont burn roots try it in a pot before u get rid of it hope it works well enjoy
eddiemonster
Lawn trimmer

Postby mousiehousie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:41 pm

Well I pulled out my Blackberry and that will be it for me as far as berries go . I'll put Sweet Peas on the trellis instead :roll:
mousiehousie
Gardening Sage

Postby oproudfoot » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:35 pm

My thornless blackberry has been very rewarding this/ last year, although it seems to be a slow start with them... I put it in in 2006, this was it a year later; it's the little thing about 2 foot high underneath the passionfruit vine...

By 2007 it had grown a bit, but not much, but then in 2008 it kind of took off/ over 6ft high now with many sub-branches etc… I've now cut the passionfruit back/ will get rid of it completely soon (it's only 'ornamental'/ root-stock anyways). This year (well, technically last year) was the first time it's had heaps of fruit on it too, over 200 berries... I ate about 100 but the other half were 'frazzled' in the 'great heat wave' (they are the little shrivelled bunches of brown things you can see in the next pic... bad quality pic’, as I’ve just taken it now, in the middle of the night, on a crap-stick camera… will post a better pic taken tomozza’ (after trimming away the P-fruit vine !) in the day-time…

Must say that the berries I did eat were as sweet as any I've ever tasted. They were, in fact, delicious. The vine is not in an ideal spot sun-wise (gets maybe 4 hours a day if it’s sunny all day)/ was planted as a bit of an after-thought, and coped well with the recent heat-wave (3 consecutive days over 45C!; berries were frazzled of course but that’s not really ‘the vines fault’…). I’ve watered it twice a week, but if it’s rained at all, any week, I haven’t watered it, and I’ve never fertilised it. If you love blackberries and have the space/ are willing to wait a few years for any real berries or even growth mousie, I reckon you should give them another go…

Cheers, Owen
oproudfoot
Curator

Postby mousiehousie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:22 am

Oh Bum ! you mean I was to hasy in pulling it out Owen !! They were truly awful and as the ones that i have bought from the green grocer have been the same I thought ' That was it " The wild one that is growing along from me a bit had its berries all frazzled up . Dried out and hard as a rock .Also very small. Lack of water I expect.
mousiehousie
Gardening Sage

Postby Jennome » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:53 pm

This is 3 years after the last posts, but our thornless blackberry is terrific. This is its first year, grew well (in Central Vic) and has mountains of berries (although 2 branches have none, presume they will produce next year?) However, they don't taste like the wild blackberry, but nevertheless are very nice. And they do need to be nearly falling off the stem to be at their optimum.

So tomorrow, a big pick and will serve with ice cream for pud !
Jennome
Apprentice

Postby Pearmin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Well I am a big fan ... Planted 2 years ago and had a bumper crop this year (melbourne where its 40C one day and 19C day after)

Branches absolutely ladden with clusters of fruit, the black ones are extremely sweet and the reason they are my favourite.. no thorns, so easy to pick.

I have Loganberries .. 1st cab of the rank for fruitng ... reasonably sweet
Raspberries ... Good tasting
Boysenberries .. A bit on the sour side but nice variations
and of course the Blackberries ..nice taste, no thorns ....the other 3 are tricky , usually lots of scratches.

I guess results will vary depending on climate, heat etc.... but they do seem to like Melbourne weather

Cheers
Pearmin
Lawn trimmer

Postby Bill O » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:09 am

Will be looking forward to trying my berries out. The plant is a 18 months old now and has 50 or so clusters of berries that are currently red.

I tried one that was black (but had probably only been like that for a few days) and it was sour - so still too early I think.

For an 18 month old plant, I'm very pleased with its growth - and hope that it follows up with edible berries. Its fairly untidy so good that the instructions say to cut it to ground level after fruiting.

Its set lots of little plantlets around it as well, so I took a couple and planted them elsewhere in the garden to take their chances - the rest are being dug up.
Bill O
Groundsperson

Postby Bill O » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Getting a decent harvest off the plant now - gathered a medium sized tupperware container full over the last few days, and have eaten quite a few as well. I'd say there is another container still on the plant.

I'm finding that they are really only ripe on the plant for a very short time before mold sets in. So I've started giving the black clusters that are in a bunch that is also mostly black, a slight tug - if it comes off I put it in the container and thence into the deep freeze immediately.

Despite the conventional wisdom that blackberries don't ripen once picked, I do find that leaving them a day or two does seem to sweeten them a bit. Apparently putting an apple in with them can also help.

I'm yet to decide what to make with them. I dont want to overwhelm them with sugar, but then again... if they aren't sweet then it won't be very nice. This blackberry and peach pie looks nice http://southernfood.about.com/od/peachc ... ch-Pie.htm

Will cut back the fruited canes to ground level after harvest completed (I'd say in 3 weeks or so) and generally thin out the remaining canes. From what I can see, the fruit is borne on the new growth, so it makes sense to reduce the plant fairly heavily.
Bill O
Groundsperson

Postby colour-me-blue » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:50 am

This was such a rollercoaster thread to read. I was "oh no!", "oh, good.."

My Mum raved about how wonderful the Blackberries were from her trip to Victoria, so I bought one the other day and my hubby freaked out - didn't want to plant it cause he feared it would take over and conquer the world. It's a thornless variety, not supposed to be intrusive. I was glad to hear that some people are having some success. Hopefully it'll like my climate here enough to produce sweet fruit, or at least good enough to make some jam.
colour-me-blue
Pruner

Postby mousiehousie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Good luck CMB ! my main gripe when I tried was the taste. They were not sweet and " blackberry " tasting. Nothing like the wild ones of my childhood. Somewhere I read that they are not " true " blackberries but a cross to make them thornless. Perhaps I was just expecting too much. I am tempted to try again though !
mousiehousie
Gardening Sage

Postby Bill O » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:35 pm

actually, I am finding them a little invasive in the general area. Its not something you'd want to plant and then ignore.

Last weekend I cut mine almost to the ground in preparation for wintering and pulled out half a dozen children which had struck in the general area - also, if the canes touch the ground, they tend to take root.

To be perfectly honest, if it becomes too aggresive in years to come, its gonna be pulled out and replaced with maybe a grape vine or something.
Bill O
Groundsperson

Postby colour-me-blue » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:59 am

They were not sweet and " blackberry " tasting. Nothing like the wild ones of my childhood

That may be to my advantage, as I've never actually tasted one before. Mum said they were beautiful, but didn't actually describe the taste. Would you say a cross between a raspberry and mulberry? (here's hoping!) I won't build up my expectations too much though - fruit can be a bit fickle - I've tasted blueberries to die for, and others that turn your face inside out! If they're consistently sour and not worth it I'll definitely be with Bill and pull mine out.

This was an interesting video - he said the same as you Bill, don't let the ends touch the ground. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfvVeuG_l0
colour-me-blue
Pruner

Postby mousiehousie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:31 pm

How can you describe a taste ? but no , a " proper " Blackberry is nothing like the other berries in taste . I liked the video clip but all this is making me again think that I don't really want one !! :roll:
mousiehousie
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce