Macadamia Nuts

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Macadamia Nuts

Postby BrownThumb » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi all
We planted a macadamia nut tree about five years ago and finally have nuts from the tree.

We don't know much about the nuts themselves. We cracked one and it tasted green :shock: , although the shell was brown and collected from the ground. Do we have to let them sit for a while, if so, how long? Any info would be great. :)

Thanks
BrownThumb
Weeder

Re: Macadamia Nuts

Postby Honeyeaterg » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:50 pm

this is some info from the website linked below but it sound like they hadn't been dried properly

Harvest: Mature macadamia nuts will fall to the ground from late fall to spring. It is best to harvest fallen nuts, since shaking the trees to dislodge the nuts may also bring down immature nuts. A long pole can be used to carefully knock down mature nuts that are out of reach. A reasonably good tree will produce 30-50 pounds of nuts at 10 years age and gradually increase for many years.

Harvested nuts should be dehusked and spread in a dry place protected from the sun and allowed to dry for 2 or 3 weeks. To finish drying put the nuts in a shallow pan and place in the oven at the lowest temperature setting (100° to 115° F) for about 12 hours. Stir occasionally and watch that the nuts do not cook. Excessive heating will damage nut quality. Store the nuts in a cool, dry area. A heavy plastic bag will prevent nuts from reabsorbing moisture. When the nuts are dry, the shells can be removed with a nutcracker.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/macadamia.html
Honeyeaterg
Gardener

Postby BrownThumb » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:31 am

Thanks Honeyeater, that's a great website. (Y)

They obviously take a lot more looking after than I realised, but it will be worth it as the whole family and macadamia nut fans.
BrownThumb
Weeder

Postby bubba louie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:46 am

We only ever just picked them up and ate them. Have you ever had a fresh raw one before? Maybe you're just not used to the taste.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Tropicgardener » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Yes the raw ones do have a different taste. I had a large Macadamia tree in Bundy but it got the chop cause I was sick of them getting caught in the mower blades and flying like missiles across the lawn!
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Postby JNarelle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 am

has anyone successfully grown these from seed?
i'm just about to try - not sure if the hard shell needs only to be cracked or completely taken off.
JNarelle
Curator

Postby tam » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:25 pm

Grown from seed they take up to 10yrs to fruit and no guarantee of nut quality.
My sister picks hers up and leaves them in a tray for a few weeks trying one occasionally until they are ready.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby pinanga » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:03 am

They bear very well up here in the wet tropics also . I have a cutting grown tree planted out recently .
And a few seeds planted out sprouted very quickly .
Nuts I used to collect from trees planted beside cane tram line near Childers were of excellent quality.
when its not raining , its dripping off the trees !
pinanga
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce