help!!! sawfly attack on pears

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

help!!! sawfly attack on pears

Postby Pauline » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:37 pm

As I strolled around the garden I noticed the pear looking a bit dodgy! On further examination the leaves are being attacked by tiny little slugs. :-@ Looked them up on web and identified them as pear slugs (original name!) or sawfly. Apparently frequent on "neglected" trees, by that the american site seemed to mean unsprayed, recommending any of the 'standard' sprays. Being a new gardener with an inherited garden can anyone help me with an organic solution to these pests. (sn)
Pauline
Propagator

Postby Luzy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:19 pm

Our plum has (this year) got the same problem - ugly little critters, aren't they! :-@

I've done a couple of things: squashed the first lot I found, just with gloved fingers, but couldn't reach high enough; then sprinkled derris dust where I could reach. Both squashing and sprinkling has knocked them back but they're still in the top branches - so I tried my third solution, which is ignoring them. The plums themselves are looking good, with only the top-most leaves looking lacy, and the crop seems to be as good as or better than last season.

I have since read to hose them off or to dust them with talcum powder (to smother them) - which still doesn't get the solution to the top of the tree! :(

Be interested to hear other people's experiences...
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pauline » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:36 pm

Thanks Luzy, I had no idea what to try...man of the house is away but suggested white oil, he suggests white oil for everything. will go out and give them a blast with the hose then dust the slimy little suckers :twisted:
Pauline
Propagator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:02 am

Morning Pauline,

You could ask Marrion to ask her daughter for a loan of her cherry picker if that is possible. :roll: :roll: :roll: 8) 8) 8) =p~ :-P .

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:39 am

Paul Spence wrote:Morning Pauline,

You could ask Marrion to ask her daughter for a loan of her cherry picker if that is possible. :roll: :roll: :roll: 8) 8) 8) =p~ :-P .

Regards,
Paul.

You could grab it on its way home as it belongs in Brisbane :lol: :lol:
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:39 pm

Excellent idea, Marrion. Thank you.

Paul, would you please do the honours. I think that SPLAT would be an suitable end for those ugly slugs :-@ . And, I've just learnt how to open a packet of biscuits! That's a nice dessert, isn't it? :wink:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:29 pm

Marrion wrote:
Paul Spence wrote:Morning Pauline,

Regards,
Paul.

You could grab it on its way home as it belongs in Brisbane :lol: :lol:

Its done a "U" heading your way now 8) 8) 8)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 pm

Luzy wrote:Excellent idea, Marrion. Thank you.

Paul, would you please do the honours. I think that SPLAT would be an suitable end for those ugly slugs :-@ . And, I've just learnt how to open a packet of biscuits! That's a nice dessert, isn't it? :wink:

Evening Luzy,

"WHAT" you want me to sqash them to :!: :!: :!: :!: ok Ill bring my boots with me.

Biscuits yummy,yummie :wink: :wink: :wink: 8) 8) 8)

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Pauline » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:45 am

:D Thank you for suggestions, tried a bit of the squishy plan but was a tad grossed out by the green slime :-@ . Hosed off with limited success... not a lot of water pressure (dam water). left it till next day to dry off and then dusted with derris powder. So far quite promising. Man of the house says they've always attacked, he just ignores :!: Thank you for the cherry picker suggestion but all the trees are dwarfed down to my height. Convenient for stumpy leg bods like me :)
Pauline
Propagator

Return to Fruit and Produce