wascally wabbits/ there's a hare in there

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

wascally wabbits/ there's a hare in there

Postby Pauline » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:50 pm

Next question... any ideas on humane (for now) deterents for rabbits and or hares? We have rabbits and hares so tame/brave/cheeky that they use the steps on the verandah to go from one garden to another even though we are sitting on the deck at the time!!! Yesterday a baby hare waited till I was one metre away before bothering to run away out of the cabbage patch!!! Now I admit that they're cute and all but they are feral animals and they are eating the tops off my lettuces :!: :x :!:

Is there a solution that doesn't involve me getting a gun? Every time I suggest to the man of the house that we fence the vegies, he laughs at me... I get it, rabbits dig, but what else to do?
Pauline
Propagator

Postby Sam » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:02 pm

Do we need a countdown timer to see how long it takes for Paul to answer this one?
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pauline » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:15 pm

Don't know why but I would have a stab in the dark (at a rabbit???) that Paul might be suggesting firearms
Pauline
Propagator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:27 pm

Sam wrote:Do we need a countdown timer to see how long it takes for Paul to answer this one?

Well,wellwell now the plot thickens 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :roll: :roll: :roll:
Check the time "time keeper".
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:32 pm

Pauline wrote:Don't know why but I would have a stab in the dark (at a rabbit???) that Paul might be suggesting firearms

Afternoon Pauline,

What,who me firearms I think someone has been telling tales about me :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: =p~ =p~ =p~ .

BUT :!: :!: :!: if you want someone who might want to do the job just
let me know and Im all yours for the job 8) 8) 8) 8) .
Boom,boom.

Regards,
Paul.[/b]
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Pauline » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:41 pm

Thank you for the offer Paul, if you were a bit closer I'd take you up on it. Don't get me wrong I don't actually have an issue with quick and efficient dispatch of wascals :twisted:, just not having a firearms licence myself (not to mention the lack of firearm) I was hoping there was something I could put around the vegies that the "widdle wabbits don't wike" :)
Pauline
Propagator

Postby Luzy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:28 pm

One of the expenses with Paul's services, Pauline, includes a place to sleep (apparently dog kennels are okay, or was that beside the dobermans?? :? :? AND, he needs not only a minimum of three meals a day but desserts as well!!! Luckily, he hasn't mentioned tea breaks (yet...).

One of my brothers has had limited success with fencing plants/gardens with chicken wire - a lot of work admittedly (that'll stop the man of the house laughing) but some success is better than none! I guess the fences made it less enticing for the bunnies as they had to work for their tucker - and moved on to something easier. :? :?

And Paul, you got this one in under two hours - well done! :lol: :roll:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:46 pm

Speaking of Paul, I gave him my possum spray recipe for his rabbit problem some time ago and I think he was happy with it. If you are around Paul can you tell us if the spray was effective against the rabbits? If so will send the recipe to Pauline.
Marrion

Postby Pauline » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:38 pm

Thank you Marrion, I would be quite interested to try a possum spray on the rabbits (I think they're hares) as long as it's vegie garden friendly
Pauline
Propagator

Postby Kerrie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:58 pm

Funnily enough, I just read a tip on this today - apparently if you plant onions/garlic/chives around the border of the gardenbed it is a rabbit deterrent.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby mic » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:03 pm

I probably read the same hint as Kerrie (Gardening Australia January Magazine??) but it also included mint.
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Pauline » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:09 pm

ta all,
:) will have a look in GA, only picked it up from post office today & haven't read yet :)
Pauline
Propagator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:26 pm

Kerrie wrote:Funnily enough, I just read a tip on this today - apparently if you plant onions/garlic/chives around the border of the gardenbed it is a rabbit deterrent.

Kerrie

Evening Kerrie,

Deterrent :!: :!: :!: :!: dont you mean stew :roll: :roll: :roll: .
Ask Marrion for the recipe its a goodie for your needs.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Pauline » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:57 am

Thank you for suggestions, Marrion if you could send possum spray recipe I would appreciate it, otherwise if you still have it Paul , that would be great. Checked the note in GA ... unfortunately mint not a solution, doesn't seem to bother them at all. As I said I think they're hares and some of them currently seem to be living in some long grass right alongside mint that was planted years ago and has gone wild :!: :!: :!: :x :!: :x . Chives also don't seem to have much affect as a large patch of chives salvaged from a decorative garden is right along side the cabbage bed that one of them snuggles in during the day.
.... I'm starting to think garlic might be the go....
In the meantime the man of the house has decided pindone treated wheat poison is the solution. Not wild about the idea, but I guess it's better than feral rodents everywhere. (Refering to the hares... not Paul and his shotgun :lol: )
Pauline
Propagator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:48 am

Hi Pauline,

Have you thought about cutting/slashing the tall grass at all it might be a
help and the rabbits/hares might get the hint and go somewhere else like
my crock pot for example 8) 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

Regards,
Paul. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-P (Y)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Pauline » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:52 am

Ta shotgun... am getting the whipper snipper fixed to do just that.

:? Curious why wabbits end up in your stock pot not mine :?: :?: :?: :?:
Pauline
Propagator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:44 pm

Hi Pauline,

Its simple only the quick and the dead 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards,
Paul. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:03 am

Morning Paul,

I've got to ask - what do you eat when there aren't any rabbits around??? Or is your freezer full??? :wink:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:41 am

Luzy wrote:Morning Paul,

I've got to ask - what do you eat when there aren't any rabbits around??? Or is your freezer full??? :wink:

Its full 8) 8) 8) 8)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Pauline » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:09 am

:) I was getting the impression Paul lived on three course meals supplied by all the greatful damsels he assists with his shotgun :!: :!: :!:
Pauline
Propagator

Next

Return to Fruit and Produce