Chillies

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Postby Luzy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:29 pm

I have got to ask - what's a rocoto tree? :? Good thing you remembered the chillis, too. Do you just eat them :shock: :shock: or make flavoured oils?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:55 pm

Nice and resourceful there... :lol: Sounds pretty intersting, though I'm not a huge chilli fan. The best ones I had were in Arizona - jalepenos stuffed with cheese and deep fried (wouldn't be bothered doing that myself). :lol: Good luck with the rocoto!
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:15 am

We store fresh ginger in jars of sherry in the fridge. Just pull out and use as needed, then use the sherry in cooking when the jar is finished - it has a lovely flavour. We gave some to our neighbour and she had to hide it - her father just sat and drank the sherry!

It keeps for ages this way.

Sam
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:24 pm

Love that idea, Sam. I usually use port to cook quail but that ginger sherry would be fantastic - I'll have to try it. Are there rules about the quantities of ginger to sherry, or the quality of the sherry?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:10 pm

We just peel the ginger and cut it into knobs that are about the size we use, then make sure it is covered in sherry. We find that cutting into those sizes make it easy to take one or two out so nothing goes to waste and we're not returning anything we've touched to the jar.

I think the most important thing is that it is covered. We've kept it in the fridge for a couple of years (mainly because that jar got lost down the back somewhere!) Let me know how you go!

Quality of sherry? We tend to use the cask because we do a few jars at once when we can get the really nice fresh ginger from the local markets. It seems to be very seasonal so we stock up when it is available.

Sam
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:16 pm

You are right up there Ben ..Did you hear about chillies being VERY healthy on the radio this morning? The news had a feature on a study done that proves that 30 grams of chilli a day will make you healthier and happier so there you go! :lol: :lol:
When I was in China it wasn't possible to eat anything without chilli and as I was a non chilli eating Aussie I had to learn ...I coughed my way through my first two weeks of eating then I ate it with the best of them ...now I add it to my food all the time ...I miss it if I don't.

Don't forget to Brandy some calamondins when they fruit too ben ...they are delicious ...just prick and add some sugar to each jar ,fill with brandy and leave them sit for a few months....yum....You can do the same with apricots too and plums but I found the apricot went to mush fairly quickly ...lovely on icecream or crepes though.
I too forgot to plant chillies so will have to put in a couple of plants when I get to town next...they have never been on my planting table before .
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Herby » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:41 pm

I won't forget Kitkat, thanks..
Last edited by Herby on Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby kitkat » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:33 pm

Both of course :lol: :lol:
kitkat
Head Curator

Health news

Postby jack » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:58 pm

From Health news (sky news channel foxtel)

CHILLI DIET

A pilot study suggests diets high in chilli may help people nod off at night and bound out of bed more energetically in the morning.

Tasmanian physiologist Andrew Davies surveyed 25 volunteers on a controlled meal plan for four weeks .. with and without 30 grams of chopped chilli in their diet.

Although their sleep quality appeared to be similar on both diets, Dr Davies says the participants felt they were able to fall asleep more easily when taking chilli.

And Dr Davies says they also said they woke better, seemed to have a bit more energy and were able to function better during the day.

However, the study was too small to draw any definitive judgments about the effect of chilli on sleep.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Ann » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:36 pm

Interesting about the chilli, Jack. I have a problem sleeping, but it's also part of an arthritic condition I have. :cry: Trouble is, I don't eat much chilli and I can't take hot ones any more. :cry: The problem of not getting to sleep and sleeping has got noticably worse either!! :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:48 am

Ann wrote:Interesting about the chilli, Jack. I have a problem sleeping, but it's also part of an arthritic condition I have. :cry: Trouble is, I don't eat much chilli and I can't take hot ones any more. :cry: The problem of not getting to sleep and sleeping has got noticably worse either!! :D

Morning Ann,

I am sureprised that you replied to it I was expecting someone else to
reply hhhhmmmmmmm :roll: :roll: :-? :-? (bm) (bm).

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:26 pm

reply hhhhmmmmmmm
Regards,
Paul.

:-? :-? I can't guess who :lol: :lol: Pherhaps an interstate physiologist??
Marrion

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:19 am

Marrion wrote:
reply hhhhmmmmmmm
Regards,
Paul.

:-? :-? I can't guess who :lol: :lol: Pherhaps an interstate physiologist??

Yeah :!: :!: :!: someone from Tassie maybe.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:02 pm

IYou need something to keep you out of mischief, Paul.
Is it still raining there? :lol: :lol:
Shouldn't you be out planting that new veggie bed? :-? :-?
Marrion

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:31 pm

Marrion wrote:IYou need something to keep you out of mischief, Paul.
Is it still raining there? :lol: :lol:
Shouldn't you be out planting that new veggie bed? :-? :-?

Picky,picky,picky nothing to do but pick on people must be getting board
down your way :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Besides its showering on and off and is giving me the willies.
But I am working on a boundery for the fence side so that the soil doesnt escape into the neighbours yards.
I have some old fence paleings that look good for the job and have been
cutting them to size while it is showering.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:37 am

Hi Sam,

I've tried your ginger in sherry - one bottle with just ginger and one with garlic and ginger. I've still got to keep my eye out for some really fresh ginger (what I used wasn't just about bursting out of its skin).

Anyway, YUM! I used ginger flavoured sherry on the quail last night, with a bit of the ginger too. Probably should have left it for longer but couldn't wait! Thanks for that! :D :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:15 pm

Glad you liked it - I must try it with the garlic. Try local markets for the really fresh stuff. Good luck!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:05 pm

Hi Sam,

That Ginger (and Garlic) Sherry just gets better! Thank you again! :D This time I tried it with lamb racks, cutting slits into the meat and stuffing in the ginger and garlic pieces, then marinating the meat in a generous amount of the sherry for about four hours before cooking as usual. Very Yum! indeed.

You'll have to get your recipe into the Recipe thread!! :D :D 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:29 pm

Uh oh... :oops: :oops: Sorry Thumper! :oops: Thought you'd be vegetarian with the way you look after all of Ben's vegie seedlings...
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:49 pm

Sure looks a sour puss :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marrion

Return to Fruit and Produce