pear tree

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

pear tree

Postby kitkat » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:25 pm

I planted a (GE) Pear tree in October last year and so far it has just sat there doing nothing....not one bud swelled but the wood looks green and healthy.I have never grown a pear before so if anyone knows their habits please share.Did it "taste' my soil and say 'no way' or was Oct too late to plant it ? Will it survive a second season dormant? It is in the middle of the vegie bed so has been watered regularly and had mulch and manure etc...everything near it is healthy and growing so I am thinking maybe its dormancy will last until next Spring ....anyone know?
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Spider Lily » Thu May 18, 2006 8:38 pm

Hi Kit Kat,

I know this is a bit late but I have a book on fruit trees and I was looking up pear trees for you. It says that there are two varieties of pear trees -Oriental and European.
Orientals are "more or less self fertile" while the European ones "require the presence of other types for pollination."
Do you know what type of pear tree you have because in the book it also tells which pear pollinates which.

I hope this helps.
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby Pokie » Thu May 18, 2006 9:30 pm

Maybe it was a dud. Perhaps ring GE and ask their opinion.
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat May 20, 2006 11:31 am

It is a William Bon Chretien and it's still seemingly alive, the wood is green,sappy and healthy looking ...I'm guessing by the name European???

it just sits there with no sign of bud formation or growth of any kind...like a stick really but green,so I'll give until next Spring in case it went into shock at a late planting and comes good next Spring.GE is very very good when things don't grow so I won't bother them until I'm sure.If I need a cross pollinator I'll get one in earlier this year! :lol:
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Spider Lily » Sat May 20, 2006 2:35 pm

Hey Kit Kat,

from what I have read Beurre Bosc pollinates William's.
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby kitkat » Mon May 22, 2006 1:42 pm

Thanks Spider Lily , I'll have to put one in, but mind you the William has to at least have a leaf or flower first to show me its alive and well :D It has spent the last six months since I planted it as a dead stick.I'll give it until next Spring in case it was just the late planting that shocked it into dormancy.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Modesty » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:38 pm

my peach tree took a while to establish after a winter planting. Pear tree next door is ancient, but it does seem to lag behind the apples in terms of leafing up for spring. Hope it picks up- Spring is a wonderful thing for growth, so if that doesnt do it, get your money back!

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce