Williamette Raspberries in SE Qld?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Williamette Raspberries in SE Qld?

Postby shamus » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:02 am

I am considering buyins some Williamette raspberries but am not sure of their chilling requirements. I live in Ipswich which has around 5-10 decent frosts in winter and drops below zero a couple of times as well. Would Williamette be suitable or should I stick to a lower chill like Heritage?
thanks,
Shane
shamus
Pruner

Re: Williamette Raspberries in SE Qld?

Postby Chip » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:28 am

I have single raspberry cane planted. It's still alive and had a cold season so lets hope its fruits! It's suppossed to flower in october and fruit around christmas i believe?
Chip
Propagator

Postby shamus » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:46 pm

We've got a heritage raspberry planted and already starting to get fruit from it. Was wondering about williamete because garden express had them fairly cheap. No need now, heritage should be fine.
shamus
Pruner

Postby shamus » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:26 am

The Heritage is fruiting pretty well for its first year. I planted it back in June (I think) andgot a couple off it sometime around October but the main crop is coming along nicely and we should be able to try the first one today or tomorrow!
shamus
Pruner

Return to Fruit and Produce