Strawberries with pink flowers

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Strawberries with pink flowers

Postby karyn » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi guys, at the nursery today I saw strawberries with pale pink flowers and some with dark pink flowers...I assume they're fairly new? Anyone know whether they're good flavours and good yields at all?
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: Strawberries with pink flowers

Postby GoldenWattle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:40 pm

I saw them last spring, but didn't buy any. In all honesty, I don't grow strawbs for the aesthestic value of their flowers (although I admit I found the pink flowers kind of novel :oops: ). On the other hand, if there was concensus that pink flowering strawbs taste better, I'd have no issue buying them. :mrgreen:

I bought my runners about 5 years ago (on clearance) and haven't bought any more. I struggle to keep them confined to the patch they're in... The ones I've got produce large sweet, tasty berries and they perform reliably... so even though I sometimes think I should experiment, I rationalise away the temptation. :-P

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:53 pm

The pink flowered ones have been around for quite a while.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby hoddo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:01 am

We tried the pink flower strawbs last year. Seem to be vigorous and fruit well but I dont think the fruit is as sweet as our old standard strawbs
hoddo
Curator

Postby karyn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:57 am

I think it would be just a novelty thing if I bought any, they'd probably look good in a hanging basket! First time I've seen them in SA - maybe we're a bit backwards here...or I don't go to nurseries enough. Which can't possibly be true!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Stefan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:01 pm

I have the pink flower variety growing at my place, and have had for a few years now (North Queensland) and can tell you that they are just as sweet and tasty as any white flowering type.

I can't recall the name of the ones I grow but they are a medium berry and plenty of them if kept well watered and fed.

The only trouble I have with my fruits is getting to the buggers before my wife does :cry:
I haven't yet found a net covering to keep her out but am working on it.
Deadlines - Foolishness dreamed up by publishers for writers to ignore.
Bugger the Romans, do things your own way!
Stefan
Pruner

Postby andi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:51 am

I have white, pale pink and dark pink flowering varieties and my golden retriever enjoys them all equally :lol:
andi
Head Gardener

Postby gypsysoul » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi! These strawbs are not new & in fact come in several hybrids & colours. You might find this a good link for info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragaria_% ... um_hybrids

I've been growing these for some years, as ground covers & in hanging baskets & pots & they fill hard to cover areas relatively fast.
The fruits are quite smaller than 'normal' strawbs, but they are quite edible .. great for a 'graze' while gardening! :) They do have a light fragrance when planted 'en masse' & the flowers look very eye catching once your area has a few flowers in it .. I have a completely mulched courtyard area, planted out in several separate gardens & walkways with Silver Birches the main features, with these strawbs planted as ground cover to take away the stark look of the mulch.

Like some of my other garden areas that I have planted with 'normal' strawbs for ground cover & weed suppression & water retention .. along with the supply of 'grazing' potential while I garden .. I find these Pink Flowering Srawbs do much the same job, but prettier! They never fail to get comments!
*The flowers are generally much deeper pink than the one I have photographed .. this is a recent pic & now late in the season, but these strawbs also flower almost all year round, except for the most coldest months here when we get frosts.
Attachments
PC030174.jpg
Fragaria x Comarom hybrid "Pink Flowering Strawberry'
"The World, left alone, works by It's Self"
gypsysoul
Senior Curator

Postby tam » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:14 pm

I am not giving mine garden space this year as Iever picked much fruit off them at all.
May have been the variety.
tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce