Passionfruit with no flowers

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Passionfruit with no flowers

Postby Bill O » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi all,

I planted a banana passionfruit vine at the beginning of summer last year and at the moment, at the beginning of this summer, there is lots of lush new seasons growth, but zero flowers. I havent pruned this year, since its still a young plant and had space to grow on its trellis.

It gets plenty of composted chicken manure and sufficient water.

Does anyone know what I can do to stimulate some flowers? (to be followed hopefully by fruit :D )
Bill O
Groundsperson

Re: Passionfruit with no flowers

Postby chocolate » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:38 pm

If it was mine I would try sulphate of potash, liquid potash is also available...it might be quicker than the granules.
Stop the chicken manure for awhile...it has good stuff in it for leaves and plant growth which you already have, potash might complete the cycle.
chocolate
Curator

Postby Bill O » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks Chocolate,

I went and got some sulphate of potash powder and also a 5kg bag of blood and bone - which I then scattered liberally around and then watered in, not only on the passionfruit, but the nearby strawberries and hibiscus, that are also a bit stubborn this year.

We'll see whether that gets them fruiting nicely.
Bill O
Groundsperson

Postby Pam » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:52 am

Potash was recommended to me for a peanut butter fruit that refused to flower, and it worked a treat, so hopefully you'll soon see results Bill.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Bill O » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:49 am

A couple of weeks later, I was excited to see a great number of buds developing, but now a couple of months later they mostly seem to have come to nothing.

I can only find one (!) single shriveled passionfruit on the entire vine. I've grown passionfruit before without this happening... even the neighbor grows them without giving them any care at all.

This plant is on dangerous ground... :twisted: If it doesnt watch it, it will find itself in the compost bin.

I'll let it live for this growing season and then thin out the foliage by 75%, as its very lush and thick. Then see whether it produces next year without extra fertiliser. If not, its a goner.
Bill O
Groundsperson

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:33 am

It gets plenty of composted chicken manure

I think that's your problem Bill - too much nitrogen.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby chocolate » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Yes I agree with Pam, lots of beautiful growth but no fruit, dont give up yet!
chocolate
Curator

Postby Bill O » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:22 pm

I'd like to do some thinning out now, since it can't be good for the vine to have little light penetrating to the old growth.

As a percentage of the plant, how much does everyone think I should take? I was thinking of taking around 75% (since there is still a fair bit of growing that can be done before it goes into hibernation for the winter) but leaving some good strong branches for next season's new growth and hopefully fruit,
Bill O
Groundsperson

Postby Getafix » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi Bill,

The flowers with no fruit sounds like it could be a pollination problem?

I hand pollinate my black passionfruit and it works a treat and is pretty easy to do with a paintbrush. I do remember reading though that not all passionfruits are self-fertile and therefore some require a pollinator, but i'm not sure about banana passionfruit. What kind of passionfruit does your neighbour have?

Another potential contributing factor to poor flowers/fruits with passionfruit is boron deficiency...apparently they are quite susceptible to it, but you can remedy it with borox you can buy at the supermarket or hardware store...not exactly sure what concentration you use though.
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Postby Bill O » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:43 am

Last weekend I cut back 90% of the branches and probably 99% of the leaves - I only found 2 fruits buried under all that leaf.
It looks a sad sight now. No fruit this year, thats for sure.

The neigbour's one is the normal Nellie Kelly black type.

I've got some borax, might try scattering it around a bit. As far as pollination goes, the tiny buds seemed to form but drop off long before flowering - so never got that far.

Other than that, I'll retie it to the trellis and then do nothing until the latter quarter of 2012.
Bill O
Groundsperson

Return to Fruit and Produce