Pear and Cherry slug

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Pear and Cherry slug

Postby karyn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:18 pm

I've done a bit of reading about methods of eradication of these ugly little critters recently. I seem to have more this year - maybe because I haven't controlled them in previous years? Some solutions are :

Hose them off and put a thick band of vaseline around the trunk so they can't wriggle back up

Use chemicals (pest oil didn't do anything to them)

Use a builder's lime wash - the water evaporates and the lime stays on the leaf and makes it alkaline and unpalatable.

So has anyone tried these methods at all? If I use the lime wash, how much will it affect the alkalinity of the soil as it runs off/washes off? It wouldn't be used anywhere where it'd do too much damage but it's already fairly alkaline. My pear tree is also about 6 metres tall, so anything I do to it will only be to where I can reach!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: Pear and Cherry slug

Postby greg.l » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Karen, I have these every year, some years they are worse than others. The eggs are laid on the leaf so vaseline on the trunk won't help. Birds control them a bit, I just let them alone but they are very annoying. A fellow up the road from me with more money than sense bird netted his whole cherry orchard. As a result his trees were totally defoliated by cherry slug. Insecticide sprays will kill them.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby rattle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi there.
This may be a bit late, but I hope it will help people doing searches in the future.

I bought a bottle of Success and had great results. It's quite economical too as you add it to water.
Oh, I should say "great results" each season as the little buggers come back each year on mass, but one spray and they are soon gone til next year.

Hope it helps someone.
Regards,
Rattle.
rattle
Propagator

Postby karyn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Rattle, I ended up using that too, and only needed one treatment. I probably wouldn't have bothered except there were millions of the little buggers. So far they haven't come back. I did hose them off a few times before resorting to chemicals, but had no luck with that method!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby karyn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:13 pm

An update, after using 'success' I had none for a while and then they were suddenly back! So yesterday they got a second treatment. Part of the problem is the sixe of the pear tree - I just can't reach most of it, and the neighbours haven't sprayed any of theirs. Funnily enough, the tree they seemed to like the most was the quince.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce