carisma spud - GMO? - market ploy low GI

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

carisma spud - GMO? - market ploy low GI

Postby gardenlen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:34 am

g'day all,

and a very happy new year to all.

http://www.carismapotatoes.com.au/?p=cs&s=1

a new spud developed seemingly exclusively for coles, developed in SA, but grown all over.

its rights seem owned by a corporation.

is it GMO?

to me being a DB2 low GI is purely a marketing ploy, suppose now we will be sold low GI all root crops including pumpkins.

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Re: carisma spud - GMO? - market ploy low GI

Postby Pearmin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Well being Diabetic the Carisma was a life saver for me.

After eating any of the other popular brands available my blood glucose readings shot to outrageous levels so for
many years I had to stop eating spuds (except sweet potato .. not really the same) which I absolutely love.

Now I can eat several Carismas per meal without anything registering on the Glucose meter.
The only problem is the price.
Being exclusive to Coles they can charge what they like and fleece the public but since I have no other options
I pay the $6 per bag.

I guess individual results per person may vary but it worked great for me.

Cheers
Pearmin
Lawn trimmer

Postby goldbullion » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Len, I also thought the same--ie GMO. But I went to the producer's website and they say that it is not GM, but a potato they have developed through natural crossings. I have no reason to doubt what they are saying, nor ability to prove otherwise. However, as a potato I can't really say they were that great in terms of flavour or versatility.
goldbullion
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 am

I was doing .... something (don't remember what) and these potatoes were nice and round (oval actually) and even, so I figured I'd spend the extra $1 for the 5kg bag and give them a try. I can't say much about the sugar content side of it, but found the texture to be quite good for steaming, baking, potato salad and hubby made a batch of scollops. Their firm texture was well suited to all of these, but I don't know how well they'd work for mashing or something that needs a softer texture. We'd definitely buy them again. If it turned out they actually were GM, contrary to the claims that would be a different story though.

If they were GM, wouldn't it be illegal for them to claim that they're not?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby gardenlen » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:25 am

g'day all,

no certainty they are GMO me suspicious of food development, coles apparently say their growers stumbled upon the variant, sounds like a bit of a fairy tale really i'm pretty sure the stoopid markets don't do R&D?? not their need they just want adulterated stuff to sell.

i am a DB2er and none of the low GI stuff works for me if it works for other good and well i monitor my DB2 daily so i can adjust medications or stop foods whatever, so i guess i won't be buying this spud that magically turned up on a coles contracted farmers farm. potatoes are off my diet along with pumpkin i have a lot of practice at this now 12 years of it.

sounds all to convenient. all too much like hans christian anderson's "the emporer's new clothes

how ya going pam?
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce