which container for fig tree?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

which container for fig tree?

Postby cooldb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 am

Hi All, Just joined this forum. There is so much valuable information here, I wish I had found this forum earlier before wasting lot of money on my small garden..

Now I have purchased Brown Turkey fig tree and want to plant it in a container due to limited space in my garden. I have bought 60L dome rubbish bin from Bunnings (black color, not sure if it comes in diff color) and 75L translucent tub from Reject shop. Which one will be better for fig tree or they both not suitable? As I understand black one will get more hot in summer due to its color and being translucent 75L tub will also pass light on soil and can damage roots, is it correct? Is there any other cheaper container in similar price range ($15)? I won't be re-potting fig tree once it gets established so I would like to get bigger container from start.

Please help.
Thanks in advance :)
cooldb
Lawn trimmer

Re: which container for fig tree?

Postby cooldb » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Never mind, I bought other suitable pots..
cooldb
Lawn trimmer

Postby gardenlen » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:07 am

it's good you have found suitable pots.

roots won't like light they work in the dark

simply buy teh biggest black plastic pot you can or buy one of the largest 1/2 hogs head containers, put a barrier between the pot and ground so the roots don't get adventurous.

len

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby cooldb » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks for ur reply, the one I've bought is 110L black pots, I'll be placing it on the gravels which is spread in my garden, so hopefully roots won't come out anyway.. Cheers
cooldb
Lawn trimmer

Postby betr2garden » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:36 pm

Fig will do it's best to escape. I have little light in my yard (and most of my soil isn't mine anymore) as an ornamental Weeping Fig nextdoor broke out of it's pot years ago (pretty little things they are - now a 20 metre monster). It's quite a nice looking tree if it wasn't so destructive and blocking north sunshine.

My new husband had a decorative plaited fig in a solid pot. He had built a false garden wall and filled with gravel and 'planted' the pot in that. It wasn't until we wanted to change things that we found it had destroyed the pot and was working hard on his foundations and his driveway. The roots were everywhere. The plant didn't even look big, so he reasonably thought he had it trapped in its pot.

Just so you are aware. Yours might not do this.
Keep fighting for what you want tomorrow to be!
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby chocolate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Ornamental weeping fig and Brown turkey fig are very different plants, the brown Turkey will be very happy in a large pot if it is pruned regularly after fruiting and is well fed.
Ornamental figs are a menace...bought in a pot..put in the garden and turn into noxious weeds!
chocolate
Curator

Postby jaden62 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:13 am

Ornamental figs are a menace...bought in a pot..put in the garden and turn into noxious weeds!

Yep, I've got a neighbour who had 3 of these things that she thought "looked lonely" in their pots so she planted them in the ground hard against the fence. I've now got 3 huge ficus trees taking over my backyard & after I pointed this out to her & asked for her assistance in getting the branches & roots cut back, she told me it was my problem and planted ANOTHER one against the back fence!

I've found the council don't want to help in this problem & mediation & possible legal action are my only recourse.
jaden62
Groundsperson

Postby Waterlilly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Who needs neighbours like that?? Isn't she aware her own drains and buildings will be at risk.......
Waterlilly
Head Gardener

Postby cooldb » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:10 pm

I had almost forgot abt this my thread until I revisited forum just now... I have returned brown turkey fig and bought White Adriatic instead which is growing nicely in 90L pot instead of 110L mentioned above.. I hope its not invasive as ornamental one mentioned above.. Pot is sitting on gravels in my garden, so hopefully roots won't escape..
cooldb
Lawn trimmer

Return to Fruit and Produce