Tips/companions for asparagus?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Tips/companions for asparagus?

Postby Brewer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi everyone, I have inherited some well-established asparagus in several random spots in my new garden. Unfortunately I missed a lot of the spears this year as they were hidden in quite long grass, so I'm looking to try and relocate it all to a designated asparagus bed where I can hopefully get some decent crops from it next year.

I'm not sure whether I should prepare a dedicated bed that will remain bare for half the year, or find a perennial (edible) companion to timeshare the bed. Any ideas?
Brewer
Propagator

Re: Tips/companions for asparagus?

Postby shamus » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:32 pm

We have parsley in with our asparagus. Apparently they go well together.
shamus
Pruner

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:00 pm

I looked up SGA's tips for companion planting. This is what they mention for asparagus:

Good neighbours:
Apricot, Basil, Chives, Comfrey, Lovage, Marjoram, Parsley, Tomatoes

Reason:
Basil and Parsley are said to improve flavour.

Bad neighbours:
Garlic, Onions

Reason
Onions and garlic release substances reducing growth.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Barbara B » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi,
we have a well established asparagus bed. We don 't have anything in with it except the occasional weed. :D The garden bed won't remain bare for half the year. We cut it up until late November, then what's left turns a glorious yellow. I see that as lovely time and we leave that on as long as possible. After the fern has all died off, we cut it off short, weed the bed thoroughly then add lucerne to keep the weeds down. A bit later I top it up with all the "goodies" - compost, sheep manure, lucerne hay. I like to think of the plants all warm under their nutritious layers through the winter, getting ready for the great leap of Spring. I think it looks nice and orderly.
I love asparagus.
Barbara B
Head Gardener

Postby Brewer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:26 am

Thank you for the replies. It looks like putting it in a perennial herb bed might work well?

A couple of the bigger clumps are currently at the bottom of a dam wall, in an area which is actually destined to become a driveway. The dam wall itself is weedy and of course virtually impossible to mow, so I am planning to terrace it and make it into a herb bed. It will be south-facing, but there's no shortage of sunshine here in southern NSW. If it turns out that it would be a good spot for the 'gus I might even be able to persuade some of it into the bottom terrace without having to transplant it!

Barbara, mine is all still green, and I even spotted a spear on the weekend - in late January! I have no idea what's going on there. It's my first year at this house, the garden has been neglected for a couple of years, and I'm a novice gardener anyway, so it's all still a glorious confusion to me at the moment!
Brewer
Propagator

Postby shamus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:18 am

My asparagus is putting out spears as well. Is this normal or is it something to do with the weather we've had lately?
shamus
Pruner

Return to Fruit and Produce