Chilli Questions

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Chilli Questions

Postby chillimuncher » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi All,

New here but keen to learn! :)
Bought these a week ago and have re potted them. (Capsicum annuum)
Questions.

1) When is the right time to harvest them? Now?

2) How do you pick them off? with a bit of stem attached? or just the Chilli by itself?

The bottom leaves are starting to turn yellow. What is causing that?

I thank you in advance. :)

Cheers
Josh
chillimuncher
Lawn trimmer

Re: Chilli Questions

Postby bushnut » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:16 pm

I normally pick chillies at their most ripened. I pick them with some stem, unless I want to use them straight away. When drying chilli I either air dry them ( by sewing a piece of cotton through the stems and try not to allow them to touch each other) or cut the stems off, throw them in the food processor then dry them in my dehydrator until they are completely dry, then store in an airtight container. They last for ages this way and you can be sure there is no dust or other contaminants on your chilli. The yellowing of leaves maybe a deficiency, which a liquid fert every once in a while would fix. Hope this helps as I am no expert..!(but have heaps of friends asking for a sample bag of these"very hot chillies" regularly!!).. oh and you may need to rinse out your food processor with oil and salt whilst wearing gloves several times.. :!:
bushnut
Weeder

Postby chillimuncher » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:26 pm

bushnut wrote:I normally pick chillies at their most ripened.
I read somewhere that if you pick all the Chillies before they get a chance to ripen, they grow again with a much better yield in terms of amount. Have you tried this?
chillimuncher
Lawn trimmer

Postby lucylu » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:02 pm

i pick mine whenever i can be bothered doing something with them :lol: I normally make them into sweet chilli sauce or pickle them. I have jalepenos growing that I planted in spring 2010 - they are producing madly and I have absolutely no consistent picking regime.

I think it makes sense that the bushes will produce better if you keep picking, rather than letting them dry on the bush, but i don't know if it matters at what stage you pick it.
lucylu
Gardener

Postby bushnut » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:16 pm

I know that for example if you were going to make chilli pastes etc, you use the red ones for red curry paste, and green chillies for green curry paste, so it does only depend on your own chilli requirements as to when , or how long you leave them on the plant. I only leave them on until their ripest so that I have the hottest chilli available and also if you dry them young the flesh bruises and can turn a pretty horrible color, so its only when you are intending on drying them that you leave them on. I find that if I leave them on I attract birds and bugs which get into the nice chilli also, so I tend to go through and throw the dry ones when I am harvesting, or make my chilli bug spray out of them.!! P.s I would love to share chilli recipes if your interested.
bushnut
Weeder

Return to Fruit and Produce