Summer Fruit Tree Pruning?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Summer Fruit Tree Pruning?

Postby karyn » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Is there any benefit to pruning my fruit trees (apricot and nectarines mainly) now, or it it better to wait until they're dormant? I've been a bit slack so it'll be a decent prune on most of them to reshape.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: Summer Fruit Tree Pruning?

Postby Getafix » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:27 pm

I've heard conflicting things on this. I've commonly read that you do the majority (and in particular when trying to shape the tree) of the pruning when they are dormant in winter, and then just a light prune of any water shoots or other abberant growth as it appears over the growing season. But i have read a few things that suggest pruning in winter can cause problems, as because the tree is dormant, the wound you make won't heal properly, leaving the tree susceptible to pests and diseases, and can particularly be a problem if you have wet winters.

So in answer to you question...i don't know!!! :(
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Re: Summer Fruit Tree Pruning?

Postby GoldenWattle » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:42 pm

I generally don't follow my own advice, but here's food for thought. It's summer and the heat can cause stress to ALL plants. Pruning a tree puts a tree under stress. So in essence, you're giving your fruit trees a double dose of stress. I would suggest waiting until the temps don't get above 25°C anymore - around here, that would probably be towards the second half of March.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce