Mouldy lemons

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Mouldy lemons

Postby Stormgirl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:26 pm

Help!

I'm not sure if it's Sydney's extra wet and humid summer, but my lemon tree has very mouldy lemons. We have never had this problem ever before. They are even fully mouldy even while still hanging on the tree. :shock:

It is next to a peach tree which has always suffered from brown rot, even though we've done everything except resort to chemicals.

I wonder if the brown rot from the peach tree has transferred to the citrus? I have never seen this kind of mould on lemons, and I have had lemon trees for many, many years.

It's kind of a grey mould which fully covers the fruit, and makes it wrinkle up and then it drops and rots away. Is it brown rot?
Stormgirl
Curator

Re: Mouldy lemons

Postby goldbullion » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:05 am

I have had a similar problem, but I have no peach trees.
I think it is actually caused by fruit fly. They thrive with the wet humid weather. They sting the fruit and the constant rain and damp conditions allows fungal problems to rapidly takeover and damage the fruit.
Are the fruit that are mouldy near ripe or green? Low hanging fruit?
goldbullion
Head Gardener

Postby bubba louie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:58 am

Plenty of fruit fly, lemons and wet weather here, but I've never had moldy fruit.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Stormgirl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:57 pm

I think you may be right, Goldbullion.

While I have had these trees for many years and the lemon has never been affected like this before, it does seem when I look closely that the yellower fruit seems "stung" by something and the rot/mould starts from that spot. It's all over the tree, not just low hanging fruit.

I will trim it right back, remove all fruit and will probably have to give it a good fungal spray. (if it will ever stop raining :evil: )
Stormgirl
Curator

Postby goldbullion » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:01 pm

Now I'm not so sure.....a few lemons that I picked had no obvious stings, but when I cut inside, the flesh was sort of brown and looked like damage from a tunnelling grub, not FF maggots which rarely are a problem with the inner flesh.
Some of the fruit looks to have the "halo" scar which is the Light Brown Apple Moth (LBAM) trademark. I think this then has opened the way for fungal problems to jump in.
Stormgirl, would be interested to see whether LBAM has affected your lemons.
This is a good primer, though they refer to damage on oranges not lemons.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... -final.pdf
But I'm not really sure what to do about the Light Brown Apple Moth at this late stage of the season...any ideas?
goldbullion
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce