whats good in your garden

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

whats good in your garden

Postby robndog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:43 pm

whats hot in your garden ?.good year for my beans ,just normal old bush beans are good,my new veense beans are not to bad,giant bean of stuttgart a bit slow but look ok,and the other bean i have is scarlet runner as always a late starter for me but welll worth the wait.Tomatoes ,black cherry ,yellow pear ,purple cherokee and stripey pete are fantastic buy my hillbilly ,i will not grow again as they tend to be hollow. bad year for pumpkin ,zucchini and cucumber.but still great to end the day poking around in the garden.
robndog
Propagator

Re: whats good in your garden

Postby karyn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:38 am

Diggers Bush Cucumbers - fantastic producers, ugly skins but very yummy. Short lived though, but it could have been the mini heat wave we had - that killed my beans too. I also randomly bought a packet of "Winter Spinach" seeds - YUMMMMMM! Will definately have those again. My tomatoes are very late but once again my Apollo's are producing perfect sized tomatoes. The bushes are incredibly green and lush this year, will have to wait and see what the yield is like.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby jaden62 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Rhubarb & chillies. Unfortunately I'm not having too much luck with anything else this year.
jaden62
Groundsperson

Postby robndog » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:17 pm

always interesting to see what is growing good for others.karyn ,i will visit diggers (online)and get some cucumber seeds for next year and will look at winter spinach,and google apollo.j,rhubarb and chilies ,it has been an odd year.now tonight i cut a hillbilly tomatoe and it wasnt hollow at all,absolutely beautiful taste.cheers.
robndog
Propagator

Return to Fruit and Produce