One Sick Tomato

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

One Sick Tomato

Postby abrogard » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:54 pm

What's the matter with this poor (Grosse Lisse) tomato? This is the bottom we're looking at, of course. Looks like an insect attack from beneath, kamikaze submarine warfare I think....

How to depth charge 'em, get rid of them... ?

IMG_9635 [640x480].JPG
abrogard
Curator

Re: One Sick Tomato

Postby chocolate » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi,
that is blossom end rot, can be caused by erratic watering, maybe lack of calcium due to lack of water to help with the uptake.There maybe some other ideas.....
chocolate
Curator

Postby abrogard » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:04 pm

You know I somehow suspected watering... but couldn't see how... My watering is all at sixes and sevens, I'm struggling to get it right. These particular tomatoes are grown on a trellis and the sunny side frequently shows drooping, curled leaves, so I take that as a sign of thirst and pour on the water...

In general you could say they've had much water daily. Not really much that's erratic. Quantities varying from good to too good, perhaps, not from drought to flood. I don't think so, anyway. What's the particular erratic behaviour that causes this?

I have other tomatoes elsewhere that show white circles, twenty cent size, on the top - could that be a water thing, too?
abrogard
Curator

Postby karyn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:46 pm

I gave up on Grosse Lisse and Romas after trying them here 5 years in a row. I just found them to not be terribly resilient. I'm not much good at growing tomatoes, but people seem to say one good deep watering per week and to 'stress' the bushes a bit to force them to ripen. But the weather's been erratic for us! I did bury chicken manure for 6 months prior to planting, and then put the appolo's about 30cms away from the filled in trench - the bushes are SO lush and laden, just need more heat for ripening.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby abrogard » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Yep. Probably entirely the wrong variety. Only growing them because I know nothing of gardening and Grosse Lisse was the only name in tomatoes I knew. Went out to get something I knew. Looks like I'm not going to get 'em after all.

The perfect tomato for hereabouts seems to be that tiny tom thumb thing or whatever they call it. All my plants sprang up of their own accord from last year, I let them go, they took over the beds, they're producing prolifically, just like they did last year... But next year: death. No tomatoes. Next year I'm in charge.... I hope... there's all of autumn and winter before 'next year', I'll be seeing what I can do through that time....

One good watering a week? And other water on a daily basis? My plants throughout my garden would certainly die without daily water, I'm sure.

The weather's been erratic? You're not kidding, are you? I don't know what season it is... could be anything. My beans - and some of my tomatoes, seem to have started up again with a kind of 'second wind'... fresh, green, small leaves starting at the bottom of each plant, the old big ones above dying off... they don't know where they're at, either...
abrogard
Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce