Beans

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Beans

Postby tam » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:39 am

Can I have an ID on what wrong with my beans please.
We have had so much rain and cloudy days this year I was wondering if this might be the cause.
tam
Gardening Sage

Re: Beans

Postby tam » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:40 am

Forgot the image :oops:
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby In Bloom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 am

Rain and humidity can lead to things like Common Blight but I don't think that's it.

This looks more like maybe sun-scalding which will affect only the side of the crop/beans getting the most direct sunlight and tends to happen later in the growing season, as the crop matures.
In Bloom
Gardener

Postby valleyshots » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:09 pm

I would more likely say bean anthracnose. How is the rest of the plant looking? :-?
valleyshots
Pruner

Postby goldbullion » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:52 pm

It's bean rust! My green beans finally succumbed too after good cropping, though my yellow butter beans weren't as badly affected. With the wettest summer I can remember it's perfect conditions for the disease.
I sprayed with wettable sulphur, which helped somewhat. But really it's a losing battle here with conditions so wet and constantly damp.
Don't compost the remains and clean up any bean "trash" to limit the disease taking residence in your soil.
goldbullion
Head Gardener

Postby betr2garden » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:39 pm

If that isn't rust, this sure is, I think:
Purple King bean leaf currently harvesting 130312.jpg
Purple King bean leaf currently harvesting 130312.jpg (22.28 KiB) Viewed 5518 times

Only lower leaves affected, though it won't take long probably. Doesn't seem to have affected the beans, which we are harvesting as of yesterday.

I was trying to get another crop. The following plants are only just getting on to their trellis and are covered in the stuff, so sad:

Purple King bean late crop young leaves 130312.jpg
Purple King bean late crop young leaves 130312.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 5518 times

Pic shows front of one leaf and back of another. You can see the small brown bumps on the back of the leaf, which rub off quite easily. Very spore-like.

Aw well, so much for my green manure crop. Am I also moving where I plant beans for a few years? The Purple King beans must grow any year we have vegies in as they are my husbands absolute favourite. He is no gardener but has grown these for years. What a shame. :(
Keep fighting for what you want tomorrow to be!
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby betr2garden » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:57 pm

I didn't realise we actually had some wettable sulphur (left over from a job my husband had done for someone). I thought I had a chance to do something about the rust - to try at least. However the instructions say not to use within 14days of harvest.

I have two crops of beans in one line, so ones that we are currently harvesting are beside tiny ones which are definitely not going to make it if I don't do something. Do you think I should just forget it in case I get some on the plants that have beans on?
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby betr2garden » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:36 pm

I've been looking at photos of rust and anthracnose to see whether Tam has rust (because my beans don't seem damaged at all - so far). Some sites interchange anthracnose and rust and blight, as in "Anthracnose - Other names for this disease are ‘blight’, ‘Rust’ or ‘Canker’, although these names probably refer to diseases caused by different bacteria or fungi but have similar symptoms"

What do you think? Tam, do your bean leaves look like mine? I'm sure I have rust. Seems the main way to get this is through infected seed - which doesn't impress as I used commercial seed. I'm sure spores have spread this from neighbouring areas. I'm guessing "rust" will affect any of a range of plant varieties i.e. there isn't 'bean rust', tomato rust', etc.
Last edited by betr2garden on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby tam » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:26 pm

B2G The leaves on my beans are ok only the beans themselves are effected.
I will pull them out and bin them. I was hoping to dig them in the garden when they had finished.
Only picked a couple of beans before they started to go off.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby betr2garden » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Tam,
If your plants are unaffected, it might not be rust. Doesn't really match any pics I've seen. I'll have another look tomorrow. Hate you to pull the plants out and throw unnecessarily, but if in doubt....

The closest I've come to your beans is some beans showing 'specking and scalding' which they say is 'abiotic' (that means the cause is partly inorganic). That just sounds like sun or wind damage to me, but I haven't located any layperson terms yet to confirm that (just scientific data).
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby betr2garden » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:04 pm

In Bloom wrote:This looks more like maybe sun-scalding which will affect only the side of the crop/beans getting the most direct sunlight and tends to happen later in the growing season, as the crop matures.

Does that seem to fit Tam? Poor beans haven't seen the sun and then all of a sudden they got a few days of 'summer'?
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby tam » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:36 pm

That could be the answer. They are climbing beans, took a long time growing through a dry period, it was raining when they flowered then as they matured we had a few weeks of sunny days.
As you can see by the picture they were healthy other than the brown marks.
They have finished now. As I said, I would have liked to mulch them and put them back in the soil but I won't now.

I gave up growing tomatoes as there were too many overcast days and my corn didn't do real well with the rainy days.
Overall, it hasn't been a good summer for growing vegies for me.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby betr2garden » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Know the feeling Tam. I started my garden late, used old seeds (stupid) before buying new. Then pea seeds rotted in ground. Rest did ok (corn maturing while only 2 foot tall, cute). Lemon tree has problems, which is how I found this forum...next I have bean rust. Never had it and I have always grown beans.

All in all though, I'm still pleased I've been back out there; we continue to enjoy the herbs and vegies we have got and we've had a lot of joy. I've been busy establishing my wormfarm and developing easy ways to do Bokashi fermenting as well, which has kept me happy. The few problems, hiccups and learning curves I have had, have only led to finding interesting people and places on-line and broadened my horizons. Pretty good few months, really. :-?
betr2garden
Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce