Queensland Blue Gone White - That O.K.?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Queensland Blue Gone White - That O.K.?

Postby abrogard » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:20 pm

We've got a few Queensland Blues we're leaving on the vine until it rots away. I put a plate of polystyrene under each of them because of a hint on a forum somewhere that said it helped keep rot and pests away from where the fruit met the ground.

But as I did this the fruit turned a tad so's it now exposed more of its bottom end to the air and I notice the bottom isn't the same healthy greenish colour as the rest of the pumpkin but is paler and even pinkish in some parts quite white.

There's even parts that have the appearance of being thickly painted with white paint. It is hard to the touch.

I fancy the pinkish/whiteness thing is even increasing.

Is all this okay or is there a problem imminent? Is there something I should do?
abrogard
Curator

Re: Queensland Blue Gone White - That O.K.?

Postby Chip » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:36 am

I'd harvest it. I have QLD blues in the garden and one of them started to get white discolouration on the side that was facing the sky. I figured it had run it's course so i picked it. Very tasty.
Chip
Propagator

Postby abrogard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 am

I will. Here's a pic, though, showing what I'm talking about. One pumpkin had a white splotch on it as big as your hand. We cut it up and ate the pumpkin. It was fine.

But another one had the skin begin to crinkle beneath the pink layer and got soft under there. We cut it up and it looks okay. But the flesh in that soft area we discarded just in case..

pumpkins.jpg
abrogard
Curator

Postby karyn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:11 pm

They look ok to me, but leave the stems on if you can - mould will start in the hole the stem used to be. Happy pumpkin eating!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Coustralee » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:29 am

I've got one with a white patch on top, i noticed it had spread the other day during extreme heat, i put it down to a bit of sunburn maybe. I'm sure ive had them before like that without any problems.
Coustralee
Head Gardener

Postby abrogard » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:49 am

Yes, I found the white marks apparently harmless, I think I mentioned we ate one with a large white patch on it?

Mainly I was a bit concerned about the pale pink patches because of that one pumpkin we had that got soft under a pale pink patch.

They say leave them out to harden up.

Some say they always (Queensland Blues especially) used to be kept on top of the water tank or the shed. I like that idea. Can they be just left outside like that for weeks, months?

EDIT: A bit of a follow-up here: We now find another pumpkin gone soft and split the skin in the pinky-white area. It was picked and left out on the workbench, in the sun, which we haven't had a lot of recently, and yesterday I found it to be soft and the skin very thin, I rubbed it and it came away.

So we've picked that one, too, cut out the soft bit and are trying to keep the remainder of it somehow. Cut and cling-wrapped and in the fridge. Don't know of any better way.

We'll pick the others today and keep them indoors, hoping that'll help.
abrogard
Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce