Will Tiny Sugar Babies Get Bigger?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Will Tiny Sugar Babies Get Bigger?

Postby abrogard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:48 am

We've got a few 'Sugar Baby' Watermelon plants that have fruit but it is only small and doesn't seem to be getting any bigger.

They're still setting new fruit. The oldest and largest is about maybe 6" diameter - 150mm - and has been that size for some time as best I can judge.

These plants are in poor soil. The soil was improved before planting with Marion Council Compost only, nothing more. They've been fed with Yates soluble from time to time, nothing more.

The soil is so poor they require watering at least every day and usually twice a day or they noticeably wilt and even three times a day on those really hot days (35+C).

The foliage is small leafed, they never got large, and they always are slightly cupped, never open out flat completely. The plants still send out runners and produce flowers.

Considering everything are these plants a hopeless case? Should I pull them out and get busy improving that plot? Or can they be 'rescued' by addition of some fertilizer or something? Or is this the way they go?

Anyone know?
abrogard
Curator

Re: Will Tiny Sugar Babies Get Bigger?

Postby jaden62 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:24 am

I'm in Adelaide - apparently melons should be just about finished by now, but my vines have pretty much only just started fruiting & everytime we get a hot day I'm finding more melons being set. All I'm doing is continuing to keep an eye on them, pulling out vines that actually die & hoping that this year I'll actually get some halfway decent melons out of them all.

My melons spent so long doing nothing that I was very tempted to pull them out ages ago, thinking I wasn't going to get anything again, but we've had a couple so far (tennis sized rock melons anyone????) that have been beautifully sweet & with much better flavour than store bought ones, so I'm trying to keep the green ones all going for now. Sooner or later I'm going to have to give up on them & pull them out, but for now, I'm just keeping the water up to them, & keeping them fertilised every 2-3wks.
jaden62
Groundsperson

Postby abrogard » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks, Jaden, that's valuable information. Sounds like my melons are not so out-of-ordinary-poor. They're maybe just doing what everyone else's are doing around these parts.

And you ate some undersize melons and they were good? Well that's good news, too, so I'll keep these going and if they don't improve we'll eat them undersize.

Very different thing to a pumpkin aren't they? The pumpkins going like a train.

:)
abrogard
Curator

Postby jaden62 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:03 am

The melons we ate were undersized, but still had the "rockmelon" smell, so I thought that maybe they'd be ok. Cut them open & they were lovely on the inside.

I've only got 1 pumpkin vine out there, it set 1 pumpkin early, when that was about a foot across it set another one, & now that's reached about a foot across it's setting more. I don't think my pumpkin knows what it's doing, but as long as it keeps doing it I'll let it go.

Due to my husband being extremely ill (my main reason for having a vege garden) I really don't have the time or energy to be fussing over it all too much at the moment, so parts of the garden are having to fend for themselves.
jaden62
Groundsperson

Postby abrogard » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:44 am

My pumpkin's the same.

I thought it was all set to die off with mottled and yellow and crumpled leaves and vines all over and then suddenly it's throwing out new little green leaves and producing big flowers and even producing fruit - which unfortunately seems to come to nothing.

One part of the vine there had three fruit next to each other like the fingers of a gecko's hand and they got to be tennis ball size and turned yellow and died.

After that wonderful day of rain yesterday I'll certainly let the melons go and see what happens.
abrogard
Curator

Postby valleyshots » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:54 am

The odd weather we have had this summer has been causing alot of problems. It may simply have been not warm enough.
valleyshots
Pruner

Postby abrogard » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:03 pm

It's odd alright, to my mind anyway. And up there in the Hunter Valley, just as odd? Watch and learn is all I can do I suppose.

:)
abrogard
Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce