How Good Are Foreign Seeds?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

How Good Are Foreign Seeds?

Postby abrogard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:52 am

I have some 'Telegraph Improved' Cucumber seeds here, from Johnsons. I was surprised to see written on the back of the packet that they were 'packed in UK'.

How good are UK seeds for Australian conditions?

Is this a common thing - getting our seeds from England?
abrogard
Curator

Re: How Good Are Foreign Seeds?

Postby Sam » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 pm

I'm not sure about the English seeds, but would consider the links I've mentioned in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18490
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:24 am

Given that most plants we grow for food come from other parts of the world anyway, it is really of little consequence where the seed comes from. As long as you can meet their growing requirements they don't really care what part of the world they grow in.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abrogard » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:54 am

I was thinking that the plant that best succeeds in the environment makes the best seeds for that environment, over and over, until we arrive at strains specific to an area.. or best suited to it. As in the travails of the first settlers with wheat. And that therefore the people most likely to have seeds best suited for my local environment would be local seedsmen.

On the Monsanto thing I know only what I've read recently, mainly this: http://www.truthistreason.net/food-and- ... s-monopoly which is certainly pretty horrifying reading.

But what I can do about it I don't know. Can't even guess. Can't dream. Monsanto is apparently arm-in-arm with the American government. GMO food is eaten by >70% of the American population right now. The technologies have been thought up, invented, realised, practiced and the world is full of countries/companies that will pirate it, practice it.

We're a gonner, I'd say, we're ultimately done in, looking at failure, loss, the end, destruction, etc., etc...

Not that I'm a gloomy person, a pessimist in ordinary day to day life - but it just seems obvious to me.

A barrel of apples is spoiled by one bad one. A little bad ruins everything.

One terrorist effects the whole world. We spend billions daily around the world attempting to forestall terrorists - and largely without success - why ? Well, because it is, ultimately, hopeless. It is like those dramatic denouements in the movies where the benign loving head of the Intelligence Organisation turns out to be the villainous mastermind behind all the disasters...

Because it only takes one, or very, very few, and they aren't what they are until they do it... Good, good, good until suddenly, bang! They blow everything up. Sunday school massacre.

That's the nature of humanity.

Until we do something to change it.

But we are generally not even looking in that direction as yet. We are still totally engrossed with making money. A 'good' person is a 'rich' person, a 'great' person is one who made millions.... An 'idol' is an actor....

That's why I garden, I guess. A retreat from the horrible reality.

Smile. It's nice in the garden, while we've got it, here in our precious haven of a country. Isn't it?

:)
abrogard
Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce