Tiny White Fly on Dwarf Beans

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Tiny White Fly on Dwarf Beans

Postby abrogard » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:00 am

Anyone know what this tiny white fly is that covers my dwarf beans and that fly out in a swarm whenever I disturb the plant?

Could they be responsible for the bean pods turning brown, drying up, dying prematurely?

How do I kill them? Any standard pest spray?
abrogard
Curator

Re: Tiny White Fly on Dwarf Beans

Postby betr2garden » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Do they look like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Weisse-Fliege.jpg

Look at the back of the leaves:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Orius ... USDA_2.jpg (pick has a different bug eating white fly bubs)

If so, they are White Fly (very original name) and are big on spreading plant diseases. They feed, spit and secrete on the back of leaves and babies attach themselves. Can bring plants undone quickly. Sounds like you have quite a lot there.

You can hose or vacuum, especially the back of leaves. Need to repeat a few mornings in a row to make an impact (on the white fly or the neighbours).

You can use sticky lures - they like yellow.

Pick off leaves, pick up any on the ground and freeze to kill the bugs before disposing of. Will at least slow the breeding down.

Avoid chemicals as they are well known to become resistant and this is a big problem for agriculture. Soap based and oil based sprays are the least nasty if you need to buy something. They have lots of predators like birds and lady bugs, spiders and lacewings, etc, so chemicals are just going to kill your little helpers.
Keep fighting for what you want tomorrow to be!
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby abrogard » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:21 am

Well thanks for that. I just used $8 worth of garlic/chilli spray on them yesterday evening and it seemed to be killing them alright. But killing 'good' things too? That's a bit of a worry.

An expensive way of dealing with them if you've got any quantity of plants. I have something less than twenty plants there, that's all, and not big bushy things by any means either.

Anyway for want of better knowledge I'll make up some garlic spray myself and use it in future. The beans were just about finished I guess and will get pulled shortly anyway.

Do you think it was the white fly that caused all the pods to turn brown and die when still little 'c' shaped things? Or even when bigger?

:)
abrogard
Curator

Postby betr2garden » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:18 pm

[quote="abrogard"]The beans were just about finished I guess and will get pulled shortly anyway.[/quote]Hi abrogard,

I think the beans themselves would suffer as the white fly are sucking the life out of the plants. They secrete honeydew on the leaves so you'll often get mould as well. Nasty little creatures.

I never mind sharing my garden - a little - but wiping out plants isn't sharing. I have just found out my beans have rust so I'm wishing them farewell, too. I'm with you on the positive that we at least got some beans first.
betr2garden
Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce