What to grow in my old bath tub

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Postby milt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Hey guys anyone got any suggestion as to what will grow well in an old bath. I want to grow something different that's edible and likes some moist rich soil.
or otherwise i'll just grow cucumbers as its far too hot and dry to grow a decent lot of cucumbers here in Perth. or maybe pumpkins or water melons seeing as though they like wet soil???

What do you think?

Milt,
milt
Head Gardener

Re: What to grow in my old bath tub

Postby gardenlen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:56 am

friend of ours put humusy type medium in tub filled it with water (put a plug in it hey?) then grew water chestnuts, they make good worm farms, or frog ponds.

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby Getafix » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:57 am

I'm keen to hear some suggestions as well. We are about to renovate our bathroom so will soon have an old bath tub available. I did read in a recent Organic Gardner magazine about growing rice in a bath tub so you could try that for something different!
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Postby betr2garden » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Make it a wicking garden and grow anything you like. You would need to put a hole through for an overflow though.

PS I rather like the water chestnuts idea, Yum.
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby kitkat » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:34 am

It takes quite a bit of soil to fill ( 4-6 wheelbarrows full) but root crops do really well once you plant them in a bathtub.Carrots, parsnips,beetroot, etc. ( no competition so the roots can go straight down).Ginger is also one that may grow well there in Perth in a bathtub.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby betr2garden » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I have a commercial pond that we never installed. It is about to become a bog garden with waterchestnuts taking pride of place. I also have a huge sunny 'garden' which was turned into a bog by concreting the driveway and across to the house. It has the most amazing soil as we have just kept it heavily mulched for several years (all our ornamental native plants went to heaven here). The only plant that likes being here is one beautiful and lonely scented standard rose.
While looking up bog plants to put in our pond, I discovered Blueberries can live happily in a bog environment. Hmmm, I had already wanted to try Blueberries and this area is away from other vegies and fruits that may like different soil (PH, etc)
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby milt » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks guys im thinking carrots and blueberries as the soil im going to fill it with is very sandy, i will put a decent layer of rocks at the botom and also mkix some manure into the soil mix. Lets see how it pans out?
milt
Head Gardener

Postby kitkat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 am

Betr2garden your blueberries like acid soil ( lower ph) so maybe make that separate patch an acid garden with all acid lovers ( think European forest plants like raspberries,gooseberries,rhubarb, azaleas,pieris japonica etc, Try and get the highbush type of blueberry not the groundcover type with tiny leaves- they are much more touchy.

Milt not too much manure for carrots - they like the year after soil as fresh manure makes them fork and get too much top growth.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby betr2garden » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks KitKat,

I have only brushed over Blueberry info while looking at other things, but thought they liked different soil to most of my plants. I have masses of Rhubarb as both Jeff's Mum and mine had plants which we have kept and propagated for years, keeping only the reddest baby plants. My Mum's is long stalked and very tender when cooked, Jeff's Mum's is very, very red but shorter and tougher stalk. Throw them both in the pot and it's Rhubarb heaven!

When we built a new house, they were the only plants we owned and we built our gardens, sheet mulched and planted Rhubarb to start making the garden look 'gardenish'. Lots of little herb plants saved as cuttings from previous gardens, and soon we had a little bit of green out the back, anyway.

As Rhubarb is a hungry feeder and I'm running out of room for my other edibles, I think Blueberries and Rhubarb with a few flowers, sounds just the thing. Thanks again for the heads up. I can't wait! Mind you this is now project...ummm 5 on the list. We are sort of doing whichever we are more able to afford and what we have our heads around first.
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby valleyshots » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:21 pm

I ave my potatoes in mine so they don't start sprouting up all over the garden if i cant find all the little ones.
valleyshots
Pruner

Return to Fruit and Produce