What To Plant Along/Up My Fence?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Postby abrogard » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:36 am

We've got this fence at the front that I've grown climbing beans on with some success. The idea was mainly to cover the fence.

IMG_9768 [800x600].JPG
climbing beans (not) covering fence

Now the beans are finished just about and I'm wondering what I can put there to make a good job of covering the fence, climbing all over it and do it during the autumn-winter period.

I see nothing in the 'plant now' list but then this is a kinda different idea I suppose.

Anyone know of anything?

I've had thoughts along the lines of grapes (but takes years), passionfruit ( don't know if possible?), sarsaparilla vine ( don't know about this, either ), blackberry (they're selling 'em now at Bunnings - would be a goer?) or, failing fruit and veg then revert to maybe an ivy or something...

:)
abrogard
Curator

Re: What To Plant Along/Up My Fence?

Postby sunny1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi abrogard, a friend of mine has a purple passionfruit (Granadilla) growing on the same type of fence. The vine coveres almost the whole fence spanning the width of his yard. This type of passionfruit has a smooth purple rind and are about the size of a cricket ball, even bigger sometimes. The added bonus is this type of passionfruit has a beautiful flower as well, wich i have attached to show you. What ever you decide to grow i wish you all the best (#) ...
Attachments
062608_passion.jpg
sunny1
Apprentice

Postby abrogard » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:25 pm

That's lovely. Thanks. I like it. If I can get one I think I'll go with, I've long wanted a passionfruit vine. A preliminary quick look on the web seems to suggest I should plant OCT-NOV, though, so perhaps I'll have to wait until next year.

abrogard
Curator

Postby Getafix » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:41 pm

I can second the passionfruit idea. I've got one covering a fence and it grew very quickly, has beautiful flowers, and gives us over 100 fruit each season. If the fence gets enough sun over winter, then you could probably get away with planting it now. Given it is a wire fence so sun would get through both sides would certainly help.
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Postby betr2garden » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:22 pm

I was going to say ... passionfruit. There are a lot of different ones and most have delightful flowers. I have a banana passionfruit which has a fine leaf and the ordinary purple passionfruit - strong growing and larger (I think, more attractive) leaves. I only just put the second one in a couple of weeks ago (I'm in temperate area - East Coast NSW) and it has almost reached the top of my avairy already.

I'm imagining you are looking for edibles, otherwise there are lots of vines that would look pretty and bring in the bees. I would hate to see such top vegie growing space go to ornamentals, but that's just me. (#)
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby karyn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:56 am

Go the passionfruit. Get a grafted Nelly Kelly or similar. If you ring Nott's Nursery, they'll tell you when they're available for sale. Banana passionfruit are really vigorous and pretty but the fruit tastes like poo.

(Waits for the chorus of dissent!)

Don't forget pumpkins will climb, given the opportunity, so maybe one for next year! You may need to weave wire in and out horizontally just to start something off.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby kitkat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:44 am

For an instant response while the passionfruit get going why not plant sweet peas,climbing peas or snow peas> They will all climb over the fence for winter cover.
By the end of summer your passionfruit will have covered most of it IF you feed and water it copiously - they are very hungry plants. Lots of manure needed. Good luck
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby betr2garden » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:24 pm

I heard years ago that you should plant a liver under your Passionfruit to really give it want it needs but, as we have a dog that has already dug up two Passionfruit plants just because they were there, I don't believe this is a good option for me. I want these two to survive.

Looking at your pic, looks like the corner post is higher than the fence? If you have another high post, you might string some extra wire across and get even more height for coverage.

PS Dear Karyn, agree with you on the grafted passionfruit. Thanks so much for letting me know I'm growing poo flavoured passionfruit (trying something without trying it; serves me right ...der!) Lucky I have a 'normal' one, too! No dissent as I don't know what they taste like yet; just a sort of sob. :cry:
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby abrogard » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Well I've got a Nelly Kelly today, looking to plant out in a day or two I guess.

Thanks for all the comment, all very helpful.

Especially the sweet peas - or climbing peas, snow peas.. - especially the snow peas, brilliant idea.

I heard about the liver. We have no dog I'm happy to say so I'll get one and plant it... :)

One question: is there any 'tendency' on the part of the vine regarding direction of growth? i.e. towards the morning sun or towards the evening sun or will it spread equally to both sides? The fence is roughly East-West. I would imagine it doesn't matter but thought it worth asking.

abrogard
Curator

Postby betr2garden » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Well done, all the best.

I wish I was your neighbour! Yummy passionfruit and snowpeas. Maybe you should grow a choko vine instead? LOL

Seriously though, you might not want to grow valuable (to you) crops like snowpeas if you have lots of passers-by. Just a thought.
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby kitkat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:24 pm

Traditionally Passionfruit are supposed to face East but I think it all depends on conditions.I had one facing east that did well at one place and not well at another. Sounds like your fence aspect will do.I had forgotten that about the liver ! Heard it many years ago. I suspect it came from someone in the days of old burying one after killing a sheep and it helped the passionfruit. Liver is probably Rich in iron and long term good compost but beware foxes or dogs would find it if you have them anywhere near and dig it up
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby abrogard » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Yes, it might be a silly thing to do in this day and age when carefully designed fertilizers are available... probably costing no more than a liver anyway..

My English has never been too good - that sentence I wrote just caught my eye:

"We have no dog I'm happy to say so I'll get one and plant it.."

Have I inadvertently suggested I'll buy a dog and plant it?

I think I must have. I don't know the difference between subject and object but I think the subject/object (whichever) of that sentence was 'passionfruit vine' which in fact doesn't get a mention, does it. 'Understood', I think they call that, maybe. Perhaps I should have said ".... I'll get a vine and plant it." All might have come out right then.

Yes, passers by. I don't mind if they pick my snow peas... Wouldn't be too pleased to see them standing there filling a bowl, but pick a couple and wander on.... that'd be okay.
abrogard
Curator

Postby kitkat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:50 pm

English is a most difficult languange and I am an Australian of seven generations! LOL My students often asked me why certain words were spelled so - Like night and knight or new and knew and what could I say ? Who decided?? LOL
I knew exactly what you meant and didn't think you were going to plant a dog! LOL HMM maybe a pup of a brugmansia ? ( thats an offshoot of the plant Brugmansia)

You may have to share a few peas with passers by but it will give you pleasure to think they like your produce and maybe a chance to chat with a new friend. I share more of my produce with birds and possums than I actually get to eat I think.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Wanderer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Choko?
Take my advice..... I don't use it anyway.
Wanderer
Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 am

abrogard wrote: My English has never been too good - that sentence I wrote just caught my eye:

"We have no dog I'm happy to say so I'll get one and plant it.."

Have I inadvertently suggested I'll buy a dog and plant it?

I think I must have. .

Thanks for the laugh Abrogard. I needed it. :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby jaden62 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:48 am

If you're not necessarily looking for something you can pick a crop from, try honeysuckle. I've got honeysuckle growing along my front fence & it's filling in very nicely.

It was planted for a couple of different reasons. That fence runs east/west, & so having something planted across it breaks up the bad north winds a bit. Also, all sorts of bees & various pollinating insects (& probably a few others - but they haven't caused me trouble so far) are hugely attracted to the flowers. The flowers also smell divine & the scent wafts into the house. I've also found that once it was past the first growth stage, it seems to cope with dry conditions very well.

The hardest part of it was winding in all the tendrils while I was trying to get it to thicken up, & now just making sure it doesn't hijack passers-by. Every so often during the more active growing times I just go out the front with a pair of secateurs & cut off anything that looks like it might steal small children off the street.

Another plant that may attract insects (but you'd have to keep it under tighter control) would be a varigated bouganvillea.
jaden62
Groundsperson

Postby abrogard » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:55 am

I wonder if I can mix honeysuckle and peas?

Got some climbing snow pea seeds this morning. Might be able to get onto some bed preparation later today.

I do like Bougainvillea, very much, I don't mind keeping up with cutting it back. Especially if I can get a thornless variety.

My wife very much likes growing edibles, however....

I understand that North Winds thing. The hot winds that come through that fence from the south dry up any seedlings I've got in the bed near it in a couple of hours. That is one of the reasons I would like to have that fence vegetated somehow.

abrogard
Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:26 am

If you plant honeysuckle with anything it will attempt to smother it.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Sugar snap peas. They rock!! They're like little fat peas that you don't have to shell.

Chokoes also taste like poo.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby abrogard » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Wicked, wicked honeysuckle... isn't that just the way it is.. " ... beneath every flower lies a serpent coiled..."

abrogard
Curator

Next

Return to Fruit and Produce