What To Plant Along/Up My Fence?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

What To Plant Along/Up My Fence?

Postby Getafix » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:05 pm

You can actually suck the sap out of honeysuckle flowers...hence the name. Very yummy! I remember there used to be one on a paper round I used to do as a kid and I would always stop and have a few.

A word of warning on the grafted passionfruit...watch out for any suckers. The rootstock is very efficient at taking over...more so than any other grafted plant I've seen I reckon. My seedling passionfruit is doing really well and I don't have to bother about suckers (and neither do my neighbors!).
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Re: What To Plant Along/Up My Fence?

Postby betr2garden » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Summary
Best suggestions:-
Passionfruit - liable to be eaten by passers-by
Peas - liable to be eaten by passers-by
Other suggestions:-
Honeysuckle, Bougainvillea - liable to eat passers-by.
Choko and Banana Passionfruit liable to be eaten by no-one.

So, I laughed so hard this morning when I read everyone's posts. :D Thankyou everyone for the giggle, it made my day.
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby Pam » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:57 am

karyn wrote:Sugar snap peas. They rock!! They're like little fat peas that you don't have to shell.

Chokoes also taste like poo.

You've obviously never had a decent choko Karyn. A choko vine is possible a bit rampant for a front fence though.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abrogard » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Yep, I just read something somewhere about that grafted sucker thing - they said they'll come up in the middle of your lawn!! Bit frightening.

So I cut a sucker off this morning, tiny 10mm shoot about 10mm above ground level. Tried to do it with a sharp knife like they said but I saw I'd torn a little strip of bark off - they seem to be suggesting that when damage like that occurs it's followed by numerous shoots from the same location...

We used to eat chokos in Sydney where they grow wild. They were alright, bit watery and we boiled them which probably isn't the best thing to do with a watery plant - as best I remember about as tasteless as a honeydew melon...

So I'll put some blood and bone in the hole and then plant the vine. Plant about midway on the trellis/fence and assume it'll spread both ways. I put snow peas in yesterday......

The winter seems to be almost a better growing time than the summer....

:)
Last edited by abrogard on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abrogard
Curator

Postby kitkat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:13 pm

I just read on the Australian weed site that honeysuckle is classed as a weed in most states.I didn't know that.
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=region2.tpl&seen=50&rltv=114&state=vic&s=&region=scp
I have one filling a gap in a side fence beside a shiny leaf hedge ( gasp.....which is also on the weed list !!! AHHGG I like my hedge!
There are a lot of plants on the list you can still buy at nurseries including my tree onions, which it seems I had better pull out. As I live rural they are more verminous and taint milk or cropsif they get into paddocks that cows graze or where wheat is grown. See - never too old to learn am I? LOL
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby karyn » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:40 pm

betr2garden wrote:Summary
Best suggestions:-
Passionfruit - liable to be eaten by passers-by
Peas - liable to be eaten by passers-by
Other suggestions:-
Honeysuckle, Bougainvillea - liable to eat passers-by.
Choko and Banana Passionfruit liable to be eaten by no-one.

So, I laughed so hard this morning when I read everyone's posts. :D Thankyou everyone for the giggle, it made my day.

And I just laughed so much I nearly blew a snot bubble!!!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:04 pm

kitkat wrote:I just read on the Australian weed site that honeysuckle is classed as a weed in most states.I didn't know that.
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=region2.tpl&seen=50&rltv=114&state=vic&s=&region=scp

I notice banana passionfruit is also on that list KitKat, at least for our area.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:02 am

Yep some plants are restricted weeds in some states and not others, which makes for confusion when we travel and go plant hunting or even just online. That list surprised me in several instances because there are plants in nurseries today on that list- so how can the gardener know unless they check the list? - and many would not even know about it at all. The government really doesn't seem promote it to nurseries I think.

I really think that some commonsense is needed to keep our own plants under control and ensure they do not invade neighbours, bushland or enter waterways. Trouble is it will be the responsible ones who do that, and other irresponsible folk who throw rubbish on the vacant lot or in the bush - making problems for all - true? And of course there are birds, animals and wind to spread unwated seed as well. Just look at the Cane toad and rabbit problem to see how we cause our own problems for the environment/ourselves.
Just two days ago I saw a hedge made from pampas grass which I know is classed as a noxious weed and I wouldn't thank them to have their seed taking root in my garden thats for sure. Bl;ackberries we all know are yummy but a problem for farmers, railway lines and waterways yet control is extremely difficult. Another problem that we imported.

I was talking to a grower at a berry farm recently and she told me that raspberries can get pout of control really fast in the right conditions so I guess that any plant can become a weed in the right conditions- gosh I just want my raspberries to grow without being burnt off by the wind! LOL
OK off my soapbox now. Have a good day.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby betr2garden » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Ok, I'm surprised that Banana Passionfruit is a noxious weed in some areas! I guess the reason I love Passionfruit (and Honeysuckle and Blackberry for that matter) is from primary school days walking to and from school and finding treasures growing wild along the way. Locquat trees always hanging over fences and tadpoles after rain, even the occasional tortoise. What a life! I only bought Banana Passionfruit because they didn't have any of the ones I was after and my dog had already dug up two. I'll play nice and keep it within the lines. If the fruit really tastes like poo, I'll make sure to dispose of the plant carefully.

I used to have several types of berries. Growing on wires; moving older growth up to allow for new growth; disposing of old growth responsibly, etc. You only have to blink and a runner will get to your garden and they all act just like the old Blackberries (though possibly not AS bad otherwise they'd all be on the list). I remember many hours spent trying to control Blackberries on my parents property - wasn't easy, even with constant effort.

Anything growing where it shouldn't is a weed, but some grow where they shouldn't a lot easier and are harder to control once they do.

There are new varieties of some plants that we have battled in our bushland for years (such as Lantana and Blackberry) and apparently they don't act as rampantly as their predecessors - I'm not taking any chances.

Thanks Pam for bringing this info to our attention and for the link so we can keep in the know.
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby lucylu » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:39 pm

I've never planted a dog, but we did plant my 2 placentas under a passionfruit and a white mulberry tree. Didn't want to waste all that lovely energy my body had put into making it! :lol:

Good luck with your garden abrogard. I would have suggested passionfruit & peas too. I think you'd be unlucky if you lost all of them to passers by. We have strawberries in our front yard that are mostly left for us.

Passionfruit like to grow up! So if you have overhanging trees, you can either cut them back a bit so the vines can't reach or just let it wander into the tree. I prefer to keep my vine out of the tree... not sure why... i just do!

Not sure if anyone mentioned you could also run sweet potato vines over that little fence, although mine always prefer the ground.
lucylu
Gardener

Postby betr2garden » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:58 pm

I've spent a little while trying to get info on weeds. I've followed the link given (which is .org), been to National and some State government sites and followed a few links (one of which then linked back to Pam's link).

I can't find Banana Passionfruit as a noxious weed. It is mentioned in a report on possible garden escapees (I haven't been able to read that report as the link didn't work).

I found out that the weed control order assessment for Blackberry is (or was) actually for all Rubus with a few of exclusions. I never knew that. Blackberry is a Weed of National Significance (WONS). Also in NSW (from Coffs Harbour to Grafton) there is an assessment for one Raspberry species.

It is quite confusing to find out what weeds have control orders in our own area as you need to check the National, State and local authorities. The following page is the National site with a link to find your state or territory contact site. You will still need to check if your local council environmental officer has further weeds that are a significant problem only in your area so haven't been assessed as needing a broader control order. http://www.weeds.gov.au/weeds/lists/index.html

You can actually look at the detailed results of the assessments themselves which may or may not be of interest.

Gee, we learn something new everyday and I've learned two things today, so I think I'll go rest my head.
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby Pam » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:51 pm

betr2garden wrote:
Thanks Pam for bringing this info to our attention and for the link so we can keep in the know.

Credit belongs to KitKat, not me.

betr2garden wrote:I've spent a little while trying to get info on weeds. I've followed the link given (which is .org), been to National and some State government sites and followed a few links (one of which then linked back to Pam's link).

I can't find Banana Passionfruit as a noxious weed. It is mentioned in a report on possible garden escapees

I found it in the Queensland list on the link KitKat provided, Betr2garden. I haven't looked on the Govt declared weeds lists, but it doesn't necessarily need to be a prohibited weed to be of concern. There are many plants on the link above that are still freely permitted to be sold and grown but give cause for concern.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:55 am

I remember one house I brought had gazanias growing right along the road verge, up the drive and escaping along the channel banks into the the roadside plantings.I spent a fortune trying to eradicate it after I found out it was a weed,( before that I loved the bright happy colours along the drive welcoming me home- then they turned into guilt trips) only to see it still now available in nurseries. So I guess it is up to responsible gardeners to be just that.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Previous

Return to Fruit and Produce