Little herb garden

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Little herb garden

Postby Atzyar » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:39 pm

I bought this tray of mixed herbs, chives, parsley, flat leaf parsley, thyme, sage, basil and purple basil.

I don't think it's doing too well, early on the basil got brown spots, even the sage as well. And the thyme is almost non existent. I water a little every day and it stays outside. Should I be watering daily for such a small tray?

All in all they all have not grown much since buying it, I've probably had it 2 months

What am I doing wrong, I've used very little of it, could that have been the problem, too soon to use
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1333604428070.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333604414961.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333604400832.jpg
Last edited by Atzyar on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atzyar
Pruner

Re: Little herb garden

Postby Atzyar » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:40 pm

This is the tray
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1333604538464.jpg
Atzyar
Pruner

Postby tam » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Have you put any fertilizer on them? 3 mth fert could bring them on but they might be a bit old now to do much good.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Atzyar » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi Tam, no I haven't put fertilizer on them, I'll try that and see how I go. I'm just wondering if it's worth buying them in a tray like that. Maybe it's better buying them individually.

I'm completely new to all this but keen to learn, thought herbs would be an easy starting point

Thanks Tam
Atzyar
Pruner

Postby Modesty » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:35 am

Basil will start to die off now with the cold, thats why its going brown. Harvest it all before it dies!

The sage is a large shrub, and does get brown spots with too much water. It does tend to look sickly in winter, you can clip it back to stumps and see if it comes good in spring. I usually leave it so I have few leaves thru winter and cut back when it starts shooting in spring.

Chives will also die down to bulbs but will come up next spring.

Put them in individual pots, chives need more water, sage less and thyme less again. Full sun for thyme and sage, a little bit of shade for chives.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby Atzyar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:41 am

Awesome Modesty, that cleared it up for me. I've got some pots that I'll separate them into. Wasn't the best time of year to start learning bout herbs.

Thank you :smile:
Atzyar
Pruner

Postby Modesty » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:24 am

thats ok, we are all here to learn. I love herbs, I have little honeyeaters in the pineapple sage and always have the biggest preying mantids in the herb bed.

I have recently started a smaller eating herb garden as the pineapple sage, mint and lemon verbena took over the other bed.

Good luck with your herbs,
Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby lucylu » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:50 am

Modesty, it's not that cold here yet! I do envy you being able to grow cold climate berries n stone fruit, but there are some nice things about a warm winter, that's for sure. (#)

My basil has slowed down but it is still growing. Last winter a couple of bushes survived till spring, so I wouldn't be harvesting it all yet unless you want to. My chives don't die down to the bulb either - they grow year round.

Also sage doesn't grow to a large bush here in my experience - more of a low shrub to say 40cm max. But they and thyme do go dormant.

Sorry to be contrary, just I think sometimes we forget what a huge country we live in and how varied the climates :)
lucylu
Gardener

Postby betr2garden » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi Atzyar,

It isn't your fault if the idjits at the shops put herbs that need different environments all in the same pot. I'm wondering if the pot was past its best or the soil is a bit poor also. As Tam says, definitely a bit of fertiliser needed and Modesty has given a good basic run-down. Even if you lose some of the plants at this time of year (or because they just weren't meant to be with you, LOL), at very least the chives and parsleys should keep going and might be with you forever.

I agree with Lucylu that it depends on where you live as to what dies down over winter. My chives never do.

I have Thyme in the garden which is about 1 metre x 1/2 metre but it may be a different variety. Same goes for Sage (although I can't keep Sage alive so can't advise on it). I made mirrored gardens on either side of stairs (they had the same plants in the same positions) but didn't buy all the plants at the same time. The first Rosemary I bought was an untidy scrubby bush and the second grew straight up. I ended up pulling them both out and starting again with two new plants. LOL

Hang in there Atzyar and we are here to help if you have any questions. :)
Keep fighting for what you want tomorrow to be!
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby Atzyar » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi guys, so I ended up cutting back the basil, thyme and flat leaf parsley cause they seemed to be struggling. I only have the chives, curly parsley and sage.

How often should one fertilize though?
Atzyar
Pruner

Postby Modesty » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:18 am

I do my pots about twice a season with worm juice or seasol/charlie carp. I think they would like about once every six weeks to a month but I never get around to it. If they are in good potting mix thye won't need anything for a while. Put a bit of fine mulch around the top so the soil doesent go all repellant on you. I also do a wettasoil application about twice a year.

I was going by the pictures and how they looked as much as how mine gorw in Melbourne. I think they might have been not the greatest plants in the nursery, maybe old or potbound.

Modesty
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby Atzyar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:19 am

I noticed the basil roots are noticeable from the top, if u slightly scrape the surface soil u can see their roots. The others not at all, I was gonna put them in separate pots just haven't done it yet.
Atzyar
Pruner

Postby lucylu » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:32 pm

my rule of thumb for fertilizing is when I remember and when I get around to it! It's very scientific :lol:

Sometimes I fertilise once a fortnight, but I am only using Bokashi juice and seasol so can't hurt the plants. If I've got flowers or fruit in pots, I give them sulphate of potash too, but I only do that every now and then, certainly not once a fortnight.
lucylu
Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce