Whats wrong with my passionfruit please

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Whats wrong with my passionfruit please

Postby telila » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:48 pm

i have a 2yo vine thats been going ok but the leaves are going yellow and the fruit shrivelled up and looks like something is attacking it. i have feed with a spray fertiliser regularly and kept water up to it. it faces out to a northerly position and gets plenty of sun, we have sandy soil.
passionfruit 2.jpg
passionfruit
Attachments
passionfruit 3.jpg
vine
passionfruit 1.jpg
fruit
telila
Propagator

Re: Whats wrong with my passionfruit please

Postby tam » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:12 pm

It looks like it needs a good feed. Dynamic lifter or CK88 will do the job.
Mulching well around the root will also help.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Temora140 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:17 am

It needs feeding. I don't use liquid fertilser for these. Passionfruits are gross feeders, they need lots of Dynamic lifter every 4 to 6 weeks in the growing season. I would put a couple of double handfuls of dynamic lifter around the stem, spread it out a bit and then give a good soaking. Do this every 4 to 6 weeks. Passionfruits let you know when they are hungry by the leaf going yellow. So you may have to add dynamic lifter after 4 weeks.
Temora140
Gardener

Postby ivan78 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Tam and Temora are right, needs a really good feed and mulch.

Just a quick question, is the passionfruit a grafted variety. If so I can see from the picture what looks like vines from the wild rootstock that the passionfruit is grafted on?
ivan78
Pruner

Postby telila » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:02 am

yes it is a grafted one but i have been careful not to let anything grow from below the graft bud, is it possible for the rootstock to just start growing from the grafted vine? I'm off to get sugarcane mulch, power feed and dynamic lifter today.
telila
Propagator

Postby ivan78 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:32 pm

the rootstock can shoot wild vines from the passionfruit. It is possible that the wild vine has grown from underneath the soil. Have a scratch around the soil and see if you can find the wild vine. If not then its all good :D
ivan78
Pruner

Postby Pam » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:58 am

telila, what kind of passionfruit is it? If it's a Nelly Kelly then there are definitely rootstock leaves amongst there. I haven't had much to do with panama varieties, so am unsure what their leaves should look like.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby telila » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:31 am

yes it is a "ned kelly" so should i pull off the rootstock leaves? and are they the ones with all the curl?
telila
Propagator

Postby Temora140 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:10 am

You need to go back to the base of the plant and see if any vine is actually coming from the rootstock, below the graft, if so just prune these off with secaturs. I leave them in the vine until it dies off and then cut them out of the vine, this way you don't damge the real vine and you can see what was the rootstock vine.
Temora140
Gardener

Postby Pam » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:15 am

Ned Kelly doesn't have divided leaves, Telila, so all of those stems with divided leaves need to be tracked back to where they emerge from the rootstock and snipped off. Once one of the rootstocks decide to start reshooting, they never seem to stop, so you just need to keep a bit of an eye on it for any others that may shoot out. When they're young it's a very simple matter of just rubbing them off.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby telila » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:27 am

:D After about 8 weeks and a good feed with dynamic lifter and seasol my vine has come along great, thanks all for your advice
Attachments
passionfruit 4.jpg
telila
Propagator

Postby jayendra » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Temora140 wrote:It needs feeding. I don't use liquid fertilser for these. Passionfruits are gross feeders, they need lots of Dynamic lifter every 4 to 6 weeks in the growing season. I would put a couple of double handfuls of dynamic lifter around the stem, spread it out a bit and then give a good soaking. Do this every 4 to 6 weeks. Passionfruits let you know when they are hungry by the leaf going yellow. So you may have to add dynamic lifter after 4 weeks.

Thanks I didn't know this.

I planted mine with fish carcasses under it and its gone strong for 6 years. Only now is it starting to look a bit old.
The vege garden is like having a second family.
jayendra
Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce